prepwork for trim..

I am about to paint the trim in my stairway.. It has 2-3 coats of paint. I know the top coat is a latex paint, and the bottom is lead paint.. I did a swab test and found it out.
What would be best after washing down with a non-soapy detergent- a light sanding, or using liquid sandpaper? I am going from a medium blue to a bright semi-gloss white. Would priming be necessary?
Chris wrote:

1. Latex doesn't sand so use TSP ("liquid sandpaper") to kill any gloss.
2. No primer needed, it already has paint. You may need 2 coats of top paint to hide the blue.
Opinion: putting latex on wood should be a flogging offense.
--

dadiOH

Interesting - why is that? (I'm curious since I've committed the offense on more than one occasion...)
Kyle wrote:

1. You can't sand it
2. Doesn't flow well, ergo brush marks
3. Did I mention that you can't sand it?
--

dadiOH

My crib was next to a window. If I got munchy during the night I'd get up and gnaw on some of the 2" of lead paint on the sill. I still have all my limbs and most marbles. I don't glow. Teeth are kinda beat though. I do wonder why mom put the crib near the window though...