Prepping: Using a vehicle's fuel pump to transfer gasoline...

Page 1 of 2
Awl --
So ahm DoomsDay Prepping over here, altho I did blow my N'Yawk chance for an array of assault weapons.... <sigh> Proly just as well, as I'm too cheap to pay bux for that kind of ammo..... I'd proly get $-per-bullet chest pains at target practice.... lol....
Plus, with the 500 gals of gasoline I plan on storing, I figger there's more than enough gas there for a shitload of molotov cocktails, which should keep the marauding cocksuckers at bay for a while.....
But since the consensus seems to be that gas does indeed go bad after a year or so, I figgered instead of mule-ing boucou gas cans to and fro (Sandy, boyzngerlz?), if I could tap into the fuel line and jump the fuel pump, I could use the vehicle itself as a "transfer station" -- more specifically, to take fresh gas from the vehicle's tank, and deposit it into my 500 gal stash. Then, to fill up the vehicle from my stash (for recycling, shortage, whatever), I'd just use a gas-friendly electric xsfer pump attached to the storage container.
So basically, the Q is: How practical is using the vehicle's fuel pump as a transfer pump? Even for, say, giving a stranded motorist a cupla gallons, without having to lug a gas can around?
Some of the rationale for the Q is that it's hard to drop a tube via the gas fill on a vehicle, as they seem to have the fill tube set up to block siphoning. If there were a straightforward way to drop a tube into the gas tank, I could use the external transfer pump both ways, and not bother with the fuel pump.
I was also looking at just putting a spigot underneath, on the gas tank itself, that I could quick-connect a pump to. Dat seems to be a bit of work, tho, and perhaps dicey work at that, ergo my fuel pump idear, but mebbe there's a neat way to do a spigot..... Just have to make sure my entreepreeneering neighborhood homeys don't find out about sed spigot....
Idears? Opinions? Inyone else prepping?? lol
--
EA

*I am curious as to the type of gas friendly electric pump that you plan to use for residential gasoline dispensing. Usually the National Electrical Code calls for explosion proof wiring methods and equipment for that type of operation.

Indeed, ergo "gas friendly".... Explosion proof pumps, wiring, switches can really break the bank, so the alternative would be a manual xsfer pump, which is not so bad. OR, buy an automotive fuel pump (gas friendly by definition), and install that in the container itself, with remote switching, etc. If these fuel pumps are suitable as volume pumps. Even better, as it's battery based, will function better during DoomsDay.... at least for a while.... lol
--
EA

There are still some perfectly good manual piston pumps out there that are specifically designed for gasoline transfer. Your local auto parts store may have one.
Siphoning from some modern cars is a pain because of the baffles in the tank, but it's usually possible to get most of the gas out.
When I was in high school, a neighbor used a vacuum cleaner to siphon gasoline from his car's tank. Surprisingly he was uninjured although the car was a total loss. --scott

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 07:00:56 -0500, "Existential Angst"

Given the complexity of today's computerize fuel injection systems and integrated emissions controls, I'd hesitate to tap into a fuel line. In theory, it sounds simple, but it may not work out that way.

No, and you proly aren't smart enough to do it anyway.
On 1/26/2013 9:19 AM, JoeBro wrote:

When I see the use of "proly" it always makes me think that someone isn't far beyond a "binky"...

Yeah, apparently your panties are so bunched up about it, you could proly just wear them as a thong. Then you can shimmy a bit for JoeBro.
--
EA

connect a gas line to wherever your sending the gasoline to the schrader valve on most modern fuel injected vehcles and turn key to run, the pump in your gas tank will do what its designed to and pump gasoline.
cost a length of neoprene hose and a schrader connector.
this is usually used to check fuel pump pressure at the vehicle injectors. schrader valve is under hood
in a true end of the world as we know it you use a pan and slide it under the vehicle and punch a hole in the tank.
hopefully no one will need that approach
one time my van would occasionally lose power, then be okk for days.
my mechanic connected a pressure gauge to my fuel line, the normal 100 pounds plus occasionally dropped to 15 pounds and my van stalled.....

The electric fuel pump in my Ford delivers 1 liter per minute.
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 09:22:15 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

That won't work, he's transferring gallons, not liters. He'd have to buy metric gas.
He could use Canadian gasoline, they sell liters there.

That won't work, he's transferring gallons, not liters. He'd have to buy metric gas.
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 08:33:39 -0500, "Existential Angst"

Don't even think about it. The fuel pump is one of the most expensive components on FI cars. I wouldn't even consider it for a car with a carb. Not worth the trouble. Just get one of these. http://www.harborfreight.com/fluid-siphon-pump-93290.html A few squeezes and you get a safe gravity flow rate, with no dangers of a pump using electricity and higher pressure. Maybe a gallon a minute. What's the hurry? You just need to set up your receiving tank(s) on the floor, lower than the tank. Wrap a piece of tape on the hose so you know how deep to put it in the vehicle tank to prevent running it dry. I've used a few of these, and you might have try one with a smaller diameter hose to get it to snake down the vehicle fill tube. Some have hoses too fat to work down the tube. They're cheap enough to try a few of them. If you can't get one to work, just buy one or two 5-gallon jugs. There's no real lugging them around. You fill them a couple feet from your trunk, and drive your car where the trunk is close to the transfer point. Too many downsides to consider using the vehicles purposefully designed fuel system to do a simple transfer. You're not running a filling station.

He can't do that. Preppers don't want others to know they exist or they may be raided later when the world as we know it comes to an end.
Gunner wrote:

The IRS plans to be around after a nuclear war to collect taxes. Worse than roaches!

    Who is going to be around to protect the Progressives, OWS sort, the media and other ne'er do wells - from the rednecks and small mouth anarchists?
--
pyotr filipivich
Probably the UN? They seem to be every where.

Who is going to be around to protect the Progressives, OWS sort, the media and other ne'er do wells - from the rednecks and small mouth anarchists? -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."
Existential Angst wrote:

Hi, Gas coming out of fuel pump is pressurized(after passing thru regulator) can you manage that w/o spilling gas all over? I'd rather siphon the gas.
You'd have to find a fuel station that sells non pressurized gasoline.

Hi, Gas coming out of fuel pump is pressurized (after passing thru regulator) can you manage that w/o spilling gas all over? I'd rather siphon the gas.

Depends on the vehicle. Older EFI units had return system regulators 0 so fuel was pressurized BEFORE the regulator. MAny new units are return-less - regulator in the pum asembly. The fuel is pressurizwd with the system intact. If you have a tap-off like the schrader test fitting open.all you get is high volume as the pressure can not build.
And good luck siphoning from most relatively current vehicles.