Prepping house for painting

What should I use to smooth out fascia boards where loose and peeling paint has been scraped off and to fill shallow cracks in the wood? Is one filler or putty better than another?

I also need to recaulk in some areas where soffits meet the house wall (cement block) and wonder if "elastomeric" caulk would be good for that or if there's something more suitable.

And last (for the moment anyway), there are a couple of thin stair-step cracks in the block wall that I'd like to fill or cover and am thinking of elastomeric filler for that also. Again, would that be a good choice or what else would be recommended?

Thanks in advance for any ideas and help.

Reply to
al