Prepasted Wallpaper

I am about to use prepasted wall paper and I am not sure I trust it. An experienced wall paper guy says that he just uses thinned vinyl paste and ignores the "prepaste". I am inclined to go that way. There is also some stuff called activator...

I haven't put up any paper in 10 years and I remember back when my father mixed his own paste out of outmeal...am I just being distrustful of newfangled ideas?

Reply to
ediebur

It not that new. I has been around for well over 10 years. I never had a problem with it. Then again, I buy quality wallpaper.

Reply to
noname87

I do it for a living. The adhesive that is put on pre-pasteds varies considerably from one manufacturer to another. It also varies from batch to batch.

Most of the time it needs to be adjusted with additional adhesive. How much would be hard to explain here. Don't use a water tray. A lot of it depends on the porosity of your walls.

If you'll ever want to remove it prime with Gardz.

Flat paints will suck up the adhesive.

You want SLIP & GRIP. Buy extra material & you should be able to get a feel for it.

Reply to
3rd eye

LMAO.

Reply to
3rd eye

I've used it in a half dozen rooms over the past 25 years. Never had a problem. I don't see the need for adding anything. Sometimes old timers just won't try anything new no matter how good it is.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski
3rd eye wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Why not?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

If I don't use a water try, how does the paste get activated? Putting these two quotes from your post together, should I activate the (pre)paste by rolling on thinned paste like my friend says?

Reply to
ediebur

The wallpaper paste probably has instructions for use with pre-pasted. Good quality paper probably goes up more easily than cheap stuff. I put up paper I purchased eight years before; shouldaknownbetter. Skip the water tray. Brush on diluted paste, book the paper, etc. The paper should be able to slide when it is first applied to the wall. Of course, you also put size on the wall ahead of time.

Reply to
Norminn

I'd start by rolling water on the back Then, If you feel you need more grip, add pre-mixed glue to the water.

Reply to
3rd eye

For the most part, the cost of wallpaper is not indicative to the quality. For the DIYself'er I suppose sizing isn't a bad idea though none of the pro's I know use it.

Reply to
3rd eye

One of the main reasons, if not THE main one, for using sizing is to make the wallpaper much easier to remove when the time comes to change and it does. I suspose the pros aren't much interested in that.

Walt Conner

Reply to
WConner

Give the wallpaper to someone you don't really care for, and paint your walls. Six to eight years from now when it's time to redecorate you'll be thrilled that you didn't paper those walls. Take it from one who knows. We've been in this house for almost 35 years. At one time or another every one of the ten rooms was papered, and we've spent the last two years stripping those walls, repairing or replacing sheetrock, and painting. Today we're down to one room with wallpaper...our 20 x 24 foot family room...and plans are for the walls to be stripped and painted this coming spring. I dread the chore but it has to be done. If only we'd painted the walls in the first place! Don't make the same mistake!!!

Liz

Reply to
Liz

I like this

Any preferences for what kind of paste and what brand. I assume you book the paper just as if it wasn't prepasted?

Reply to
ediebur

Yes! Again YES! The only way I will ever consider wallpaper again will be if a professional does the removal of the old paper. My wife knows it will be divorce time if she ever puts up another piece of it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

"The only way I will ever consider wallpaper again will be if a professional does the removal of the old paper"

As I said above, if you put 2 coats of sizing on the wall before the wall paper, as most instructions say, removal is easy, dampen, let set, dampen again start a corner and peel off.

Walt Conner

Reply to
WConner

Which is just fine until you want to paint that wall, then comes the scrub, scrub and scrub again. That is what DIYers have against wallpaper and what all too many wives eigther ignore or overlook.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Sizing is little more than thinned down adhesive.

Priming first with Gardz or Draw-tite is the best way to facilitate easy removal.

Reply to
3rd eye

I use a premixed heavy duty clear made by Gibson Homans it's called 'dyanmite 234. Though just about any premix clear will work for you. And, yes we book all papers.

For the non belivers out there, it is a strippable adhesive. We use this adhesive to hang commercial vinyls over bare sheetrock. Once cured the vinyl can be removed without ANY damage to the wall.

Reply to
3rd eye

"then comes the scrub, scrub and scrub again"

Have not had that problem, wash the wall down and paint, am about to remove some paper and paint next week.

Walt Conner

Reply to
WConner

Reply to