Preparing my Hot Tub for the Winter

I have a Sundance Optima (about 500 gallons) Hot Tub which I won't use during the Winter. Last year I kept the water in the tub and when Spring came the water was scummy & discolored and the spa needed a good cleaning.
I was thinking of emptying it this year and was wondering if there are special instructions on how to prepare the spa for Winter. Or should I simply leave the water in the spa but be sure to manage the chemical levels over the Winter?. I live in Central, New Jersey.
Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Sy
--
Please post and reply to snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Just wondering....why don't you use it in the winter? I have a Sundance also and live in upstate NY. I use my hot tub more in the winter than in the summer. I set the tub at 102 degrees and it is wonderful on those cold evenings. I don't go in when it gets near zero, but otherwise really enjoy it. You should try it!
Bill
I hate the cold and even though my door entrance is only about 15 feet away I can't bear the idea of being out there in the middle of Winter.
What does it do for you?
Sy

--
Please post and reply to snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com