Preparing concrete basement floor for finishing...

Question regarding finishing the floor in my basement...
I intend to place the pad and carpet directly on the slab, but I assume I should treat/seal it first. There will be some areas that will be tiled, so of course I can only use a sealant there. Is drylok the recommended product? What about laying down plastic?
I see drylok has a concrete sealant and a concrete floor paint...I am not sure which is more appropriate for this.
I've never heard of a need to treat the slab before installing carpet. It is advisable, if you have the opportunity, to seal the gap between the slab and the foundation walls to keep out termites and water. Not possible if it's already framed, of course.
-rev