Prepare Land for Swimming Pool

I'm setting up a 10 foot diameter children's swimming pool. My land slopes and I have to build up the soil by about 8 inches on one side to make the area level.

What type of soil would you use to level the area? I've looked into screened topsoil, but that seems to fine and might easily just wash away when wet. All the companies I contacted so far just carry the screen top soil. I don't want to use basic fill, but rather a compromise between the two. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Reply to
Paul

Instructions will tell you not to build up the low side. It will settle with the wieght of the water. You are supposed to dig down on the high side. On my 1st two pools (36" x 12' and then a 42" x 15') I dug down half way on the high side while throwing the dirt onto the low side untill everything was level. This worked out fine. I wouldnt use sand to level the ground. Mason sand is best for a base under the liner and to form a cove around the edges.

Last fall I put in a 12' x 24' x 48" pool. I rented a bob cat for this one as it should last longer than the previous pools. Oval pool with buttressless suports is a major pain to put in. Looks great though, lots o compliments.

On a 10' dia. I would go with the topsoil. wet it down and let id dry a couple of time and it will compact down some.

also, get a good filter! The cheap paper filter one I got with the smaller pools made for so much more work to maintain the pool.

Good luck

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Thanks all for the great advice. I've decided not to try to add fill to build up one side. Since this was only a temporary installation, I'm not going to try to excavate and build up an area, although this seems to be the right way of doing it. Someday if we get a larger pool then that's the way to go. Since a larger pool will require us to place it on area with an even greater slope, I pretty sure a retaining wall will be necessary.

For this summer and next we decided to place this pool on a concrete pad for our walkout basement. The pool will fit fine, and it's reasonably level. I plan on using a children's play pad underneath the pool to soften the floor.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Paul

I put up an 18x48 this summer. I used 1/2' foil backed Styrofoam. I cut the pieces to fit and duct tapped together then installed the sand wedge. So far it has given a nice bottom with some give but does not leave foot prints.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Rushing