Prepaid Cell Phones Cost- Good Deal?

Page 2 of 3
Seth Goodman wrote:

Thanks for the response. I will look into it.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Seth Goodman wrote:

It looks like I am going to go with Beyond. Thanks for the lead. That was was what I was looking for.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Seth Goodman wrote:

I got my phones yesterday and set them up today. It looks like they are going to do exactly what I had hoped for. Thanks again for the suggestion. It also will make a nice Christmas present for Rita.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Dec 2005 17:22:56 GMT, Joseph Meehan wrote:

You're welcome! I'm glad it's working out for you.
--
Seth Goodman

I got my STi phone just a few minutes ago!
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:48:19 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

I got my phone a few minutes ago.
I'm into tracphone for $20 for 40 minutes, so am looking for deals where I can buy a couple hundred minutes for the year.
Must I stick with TracPhone for the prepaid minutes I buy?
You might want to ask this on the alt.cellular newsgroup.

==========I am NOT on a budget..but both my wife and I are retired and we both have Virgin Mobile phones (at about 100 bucks each) and we Both have to pay at leasr 15 bucks every 3 months to keep the phones active..
After the initial expense of the phones ...and with our usage (pretty darn low) it works out that each phone costs us about 5 bucks a month... and to be honest we never even come close to using the minutes we buy (25 cents per minute..for the 1st 10 minutes each day then it dropsw down to 10 cents a minute)...I do not think we ever used them 10 minutes in a single day...
The minutes roll over....I just checked my balmnce on my phone...shows that I have $105.50 balance....thats a little over 400 minutes ...and IF my 90 day was tomorrow I would have to purchase another 15 bucks worth of time.. which would bring my balance up to $120.00 ...and we both have our accounts set up that the 15 bucks comes out automatically so we do not have to keep track of anything...
For me and my wife...IT WORKS... and at about 5 bucks a month it is damn cheap imho...
The only problem I have is neither phone rings extremely loud...thank the good lord it does vibrate or I may not even know the wife is calling... lol
Bob G.

Do all of these prepaid cell phones having roaming capabilities when out of your service area such as on a car vacation?
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

All the ones I've seen do. Tracfone allows you to roam, but you're charge 2 "units" per minute, instead of the normal 1 unit/minute. Similarly, they charge 2 units per minute for long distance calls from your home service area.
Terry
Prepaid only differ in that you use and buy one of the phones they offer and you prepay. I bought a Motorola but now I think Trac Fone has a camera phone available, they are good for kids or as an emergency phone. The phones cost apx 30-120.
On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 16:47:07 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

I use the TracFone mostly for emergencies. I buy the 1-year cards BTW, doing the whole thing online seems easier than buying a card at a store). I have plenty of units available since they don't "disappear".

Mark Lloyd
On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 16:05:20 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Yep...I have had no problems using it on the west coast this summer (Washington State) My local area is in Maryland...
Bob G.

I've had very good service with my TracFone,Cingular is my local network for them.$100 got me a refurb'd phone and 150 minutes(units). I've seen new phones at WalMart for $30.00,but you have to buy minutes separately. Prepaid plans vary,and with some,your "minutes" are only valid for a couple of months. With Trac Fone,I buy a 150 minute card that the units last for a year,and rollover when I buy a new yearly card.(which only cost me $89.00 last time around,and also got bonus minutes.)
Outside of your local service area,usage is *double* minutes. (2 units = ONE minute of talktime)
TracFone does not yet offer a camera-phone.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Wow!
You're the MAN!

I went with the TracFone Plan. $19 or $26 and change with tax and shipping of the phone. The coupon code didn't work with the $19 promo 40 minute Deal.
Here are some of the costs I calculated. Per Min    Minutes    Length
$0.593    TracFone This is the 40 minute card plus the phone - not bad for $20. Phone cards alone Per Min    Minutes    Length     $0.200    400    60 day      $0.250    200    60 day      $0.300    100    60 day      $0.500    40    60 day      $0.430    300    annual card     $0.600    150    annual card
With Double Minutes Prepaid for $129             Per Min    Minutes    Length     Adv Rat        Real Rate $0.100    800    0.217272727    Assuming 1100 min a year $0.125    400    0.242272727    Assuming 1100 min a year $0.150    200    0.267272727    Assuming 1100 min a year $0.250    80    0.367272727    Assuming 1100 min a year These figures show that if you use the double rate card, they advertise 10 cents a minute while the actual rate is 21.72 cents per minute - and that's if you use the full 1100 minutes per year 800 Plus 300.
Clearly deceptive advertising but I'm getting one anyway.
Sherman

I went with Sti but haven't received the phone yet