prehung door on 2x3 wall

can i easily modify a new 2x4 prehung door jamb to fit my 2x3 framing? or do i need to special order? thks bill

Reply to
bill

"Easily?" Not really. Prehung units are made to slip together at the jamb and trimming there screws that up. It would be simple enough to trim a 1/2" off each outer side of the frame except it's very difficult to get the casing trim off w/ tearing it up. Unless I had a bunch of them, I'd probably just opt to make the frame for it from scratch as being quicker and simpler. But, I've a full shop--depends on what you have to work with...

--

Reply to
dpb

You'd be better off with a slab door, trimmed down to fit snugly in the existing opening.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

The short answer is no. You could add a second layer of 1/2 drywall around the opening in a picture frame effect. Make it something like 6" oversized and edge with L metal. The prehung will now fit, the trim will work, and you have a new accent.

Reply to
DanG

Yes, it can be done. Easily no.

I had 4 closet complexes where I installed both regular (7) and bifold (3) doors. Not a problem to make your own jambs if you have a table or radial arm saw. Rip to width, cut to length, cut a rabit on the uprights to accept the top jamb.

Of course mortising for the hinges (if any) and latch (if needed) adds a bit of time and fool around. I have done all that in the past with hammer/chisel and a few times with a router.

All those doors were done over a 10 year period rehabbing and old house.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

With a prehung unit, remove the door and hinges. Take apart the jambs. remove the stops. Rip the jamb right down the center (where the stops will cover, then rip again to remove the inch (or whatever). Your stop will cover the joint. You might want to preinstall shims perfectly level, since it might be easiest to install the frame in two parts. Not easy, no.

Reply to
marson

Why not use biscuit's and put the ripped jamb back together? That would make it easier to install since it would now be one piece again.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I see I overlooked the 'prehung' bit. I didn't use them. I find that a new door (no jambs) is much easier to do in that situation.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Yes, biscuits would work great if you have access to them. Also, check with a custom jamb order. We used to get charged a measly 15 bucks a door for custom width jambs. Don't know if that would apply to a 3 9/16" jamb or not.

Reply to
marson

thanks to all. i will probably go with just the new door in existing jambs and trim, eventhough wife wanted new trim also....may be replace that too...thanks again

Reply to
bill

I used my circular saw to rip it down on the side without the hardware. Didn’t have to take it apart, just had to remove one metal staple on both sides so you don’t damage your blade. The I took a hand plane to the cuts to make sure they were square. It will look a little thin on the outside but you will never notice.

Reply to
Sigs77

Good day Bill! It is quite simple. Mark the width you need directly on the jamb and cut the excess off. I prefer a circular saw, but a sharp jigsaw would work as well. You can make your cuts without disassembling the jamb or removing the door from the jamb. Just make sure you don't cut into your door:)

Reply to
Adam

Bill asked his question in 2007. While I'm sure he would have appreciated your suggestion, I'm afraid it's all for naught.

During the project, in an attempt to keep the dust contained, Bill closed the existing door before he started cutting the jamb.

Unfortunately, Bill's saw was faulty and he was electrocuted when he plugged it in. More unfortunately, since the door was closed, no one knew it and Bill passed away.

On the bright side, since he hadn't cut the jamb yet, his wife was able to get a full refund. While returning the door, she met a contractor who installed the proper sized door - at a substantial discount. They dated (quietly) for about a year and when they thought the time was right, they married. I hear he's done a lot of work on the house since then and it apparently looks quite nice.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Jesus snipped-for-privacy@example.com wrote

You always been the last to get the joke, boy ?

Only 12 years late.

Reply to
4587Joey