Preferred size for a walk-in closet?

Page 3 of 3

On May 19, 11:10pm, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.gov wrote:

Ok, I'm not the OP, but...
Huh? My husband shaves IN the shower, because he likes it. What kind of shaving can be done in the absence of water? Oh, all right, using an electric razor, obviously, but not everyone uses one.
I shave in the shower, too.
Cindy Hamilton

I'm with you. DH shaves over the bathroom sink and I shave in the shower. Even with an electric razor, aren't bits of hair and skin dropping all over? Gross. Just what I want on my closet floor. We cut each other's hair (blunt cut, just below the waist, every 8 weeks) in the bathroom, too. Like I said, we're both very low maintenance.

First, the basics...
Hanging clothes need at least 2' of depth, and the walkway should be 3' wide to avoid feeling cramped. So, minimum width would be 5' if you have hanging clothes on one side, or 7' if you have hanging clothes on both sides. The length can be whatever you have space for (as small as 2' or as long as the house).
We designed and built our own house, and our master "suite" is roughly 23'x16', about the same as your proposed space. Our suite includes a 12'x15' bedroom, a 10'x10' master bath, and our 5'x10' master closet (inside room dimensions). We installed 3' doors in case we ever need to use a wheelchair, and the closet door opens into the bedroom, so it doesn't take space away from the closet.
We have have hanging rods on the LEFT side of the closet only. The first third of the 10' length has double hanging rods (one above the other) for my wife's shirts, skirts, and pants. The middle third has a higher single rod for hanging longer items like dresses, robes, etc. And the last third is the double hanging rods for my shirts and pants. There is a shelf above the middle section where we keep extra pillows and whatnot.
I built a wall mounted shelf (12" deep, and about 6' high) at the back end of the closet where we store shoes, hats, boxes of old cards/letters, etc. It's mounted high enough off the floor that we can slide our laundry basket under the shelf.
We have a small niche on the RIGHT side of our closet (about 4' wide x 16" deep that bumps into the bathroom area), where I built a set of 12 built-in drawers. That's where we keep our socks, underwear, lingerie, shorts, gloves, sheets for the bed, etc. My wife keeps her jewelry boxes and other do-dads on top of the built-in dresser.
The rest of the RIGHT side of our closet has hooks for belts and whatnot, and a full height mirror.
While the McMansion folks would probably find it unacceptable, we are more than happy with our "little" 5'x10' closet. We have plenty of room for clothes, and my wife uses it as her changing room since there's plenty of room to move around. We've lived here over five years and have never filled up the closet rods.
I would be happy to send you some pictures if you want. Just email me from the link on my web site at www.mountain-software.com.
Take care,
Anthony

We are just now finishing a house and we did most of the finish work. We too have two bedrooms on the main floor including a good sized master bedroom (15 x 17.5). Our walk-in has its own door which parallels the bath and it is 10' deep by 6-1/2' wide with the door in the end. We built two tall shoe and sweater shelving units that are about 20" wide that also serve as one end attachment for single or two level hanging rods. Above the hanging rods are shelve that are at "tipy-toe height (or step stool). There is also a separate partition in the middle on one side that allowed us to convert from double level rods to single level dress rod. We are completely satisfied and we have had good comments from others about its utility.
As a side-note the second bedroom has a fairly good size closet with standard bi-folds. It shares a wall with the hallway leading to the bedroom so it is about 4' deep and 7' wide. It is a little larger than many second bedroom closets but provides good storage for our "empty-nester" stuff. We configured the inside with shelving that is great for a bedroom, but it could also he easily converted to a sewing nook if my wife ever wants to move the sewing center upstairs.
RonB

My master closet is rather large, but the width is only 5 feet'. It has a heat/AC vent in it which proved to be very helpful. I started working 3rd shift and could not get a good sleep due to all the daytime noise (barking dogs, basketball, doorbell, lawn mowers, etc). I found sleeping in the walk-in closet floor was the perfect quiet place to get undisturbed sleep. For large closets I would guess you could add some furniture, perhaps a dressing area or hobby desk.
In our previous residence, I added a walk-in closet. I think it was 4x5'. Open door, take one step, turn on light, all clothes are within reach yet far more convenient than a conventional closet and less % corridor than a larger walk-in. OK, so this was in a singlewide. Build to fit your needs and your house.
We are now in a 1953 "real house" and I wish I had that closet here. We've bought six wardrobes to augment the closets.
I agree with the comment about ventilation -- at least make sure the closet has good air flow. Especially A/C to avoid mold and mildew on the clothes.
I think the bedroom I grew up in was 10x12'. My sisters shared the smaller bedroom. This was in a very large 1300 sq ft house. It was large because the available area was used for real living space and the bedrooms were sized for sleeping only. Fifty-four years after my parents built it, they are dead but one of my sisters is living in the house, and my other sister would retire there if it were available.
Edward
--
Art Works by Melynda Reid: http://paleo.org