Preferred size for a walk-in closet?

Just did, thanks!

in our area, if it has a closet, it's a bedroom. you should check with your tax code to see what it is in your area.

Reply to
chaniarts

That's generally the distinction, but in my last house it was the other way around. The tax roles defined the number of bedrooms. We had to pay $6K to list our house as three bedroom. The builder apparently had it listed as a two bedroom, though it clearly had three.

Reply to
keith

Exactly. Since neither the workspace nor the office will have a closet, neither is a bedroom. The architect doesn't get it.

Yes, yes...keep going... about that master bath...

But before we get off the closet/bedroom thing:

Where does your wife put on her make up? Seated or standing? Illuminated mirror? Provision of water? Presuming she does it at a table or desk. How big? what sort of surface (risk of spilling alcohol, acetone etc)? General lighting: change in color temperature for different scenarios (you match the make up to the destination (beach or party etc) and the lighting has to be compatible

Where does she blow dry her hair?

Where do you shave?

If you answer "in the bathroom" to any of the above you're wasting a very expensive and not too pleasant (smells, moisture) room for something that could be done much more conveniently in your massive closet (with some rearrangement).

Reply to
knuckle-dragger

I don't see why h is even asking. She says she is happy with the closet size she already has, doesn't care about resale, and intends to live there the rest of her life. She disregarded the architect's advice, which I think was valid. So, then just build whatever she wants. What does it matter what any of us think?

My thoughts exactly...

Reply to
benick

We are just now finishing a house and we did most of the finish work. We too have two bedrooms on the main floor including a good sized master bedroom (15 x 17.5). Our walk-in has its own door which parallels the bath and it is 10' deep by 6-1/2' wide with the door in the end. We built two tall shoe and sweater shelving units that are about 20" wide that also serve as one end attachment for single or two level hanging rods. Above the hanging rods are shelve that are at "tipy-toe height (or step stool). There is also a separate partition in the middle on one side that allowed us to convert from double level rods to single level dress rod. We are completely satisfied and we have had good comments from others about its utility.

As a side-note the second bedroom has a fairly good size closet with standard bi-folds. It shares a wall with the hallway leading to the bedroom so it is about 4' deep and 7' wide. It is a little larger than many second bedroom closets but provides good storage for our "empty-nester" stuff. We configured the inside with shelving that is great for a bedroom, but it could also he easily converted to a sewing nook if my wife ever wants to move the sewing center upstairs.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Because resizing the closet later would be quite expensive and I want to make sure I'm not making a mistake. So far, no one has come up with any reason that a closet should be bigger than 8x10. At least not a reason that is valid for my lifestyle.

You just getting a bunch of opinions, some for and some alternatives. But they are just opinions. You are still left with the same choices, make it the size you want or make it bigger. Frankly I never make "bad resale" decisions about any home I own. No matter what my plans. You could die next week in a car wreck and your wife might decide that house is not so suitable all by herself. You can't predict the future so don't put up barricades that someone will regret later. Even if it's not you that regrets it.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Absolutely. These days, you may find yourself moving for a job. Never close off options unnecessarily. Do what you want but make sure it's not "too weird". At least design in some easy way out. Bedrooms without closets are one of the no-nos, in my book.

Reply to
keith

Again, I don't care about resale. I'm certainly not going to plan a renovation I expect to live with for at least 35 years based on "resale value". And yes, I could die and leave my HUSBAND all alone tomorrow. The only reason I am asking for opinions is that I want to make sure I have correctly assessed our needs. I really don't want to put anything else in the closet besides hanging clothes, shoes, and out-of-season clothes in bags on shelves. Based on what everyone else puts in their very large closets, I've decided that yes, 8'x10' is more than we need, so we'll stay with that size.

Thanks, everyone, especially Anthony, for their input!

Sorry about the wife remark, my bad. Statistically it's more likely that you will outlive him. But clearly you had your mind made up before you came here.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

No problem :) I'm 11 years old than he is, so it's a toss-up. Yes, I have very fixed ideas about all aspects of both stages of our renovations, but since it's such a huge amount of money I want to make sure I don't get tunnel vision and miss something. I don't want to end up with something I don't like when I could have designed it "right" the first time. Just wait until the architect sees that I want a double stall shower and NO bathtub in the master bathroom. He'll have a cow!

.

Double shower and no tub in a master is not a 'no sale'.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

That's my preference, but the architect we're using is a very earnest young man (ok, he's nearly 40) who seems MUCH more concerned with resale than what the current owners want. He's also very traditional. He is, however, very good, reasonably priced, and his plans ALWAYS get approved by our town building people, who can be a real pain. We've got a bathtub in the one upstairs bath we have now, and in 25 years I don't think anyone has used it. I'm not even sure it has a stopper!

Ok, I'm not the OP, but...

Huh? My husband shaves IN the shower, because he likes it. What kind of shaving can be done in the absence of water? Oh, all right, using an electric razor, obviously, but not everyone uses one.

I shave in the shower, too.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I'm with you. DH shaves over the bathroom sink and I shave in the shower. Even with an electric razor, aren't bits of hair and skin dropping all over? Gross. Just what I want on my closet floor. We cut each other's hair (blunt cut, just below the waist, every 8 weeks) in the bathroom, too. Like I said, we're both very low maintenance.

"h" wrote

I wouldnt worry about it. Do what seems right. I'd kill for a single 8x10 closet here. Heck, I'd be happy for a 2x5 ft one!

More than you need though when adding a second is just useless, especially if it detracts from another room.

Reply to
cshenk

"h" wrote

Here's a real one. Make sure one of the 2 (or both if you like) are wheel chair accessable and if this is upstairs area and a new stairwell has to be added, that it meet the specs so a proper ADA lift can later be added to get up there. I gather this is a second story addition? If not done, this may be the one that pushes the house to have to be sold in later years.

I'm slowly working on my house. One thing we watch is how 'accessable' each added thing is. Got a downstairs bathroom with a tub?

Reply to
cshenk

My master closet is rather large, but the width is only 5 feet'. It has a heat/AC vent in it which proved to be very helpful. I started working 3rd shift and could not get a good sleep due to all the daytime noise (barking dogs, basketball, doorbell, lawn mowers, etc). I found sleeping in the walk-in closet floor was the perfect quiet place to get undisturbed sleep. For large closets I would guess you could add some furniture, perhaps a dressing area or hobby desk.

Reply to
Phisherman