precut stair stringer question

I tried searching the archives, but didn't find anything, so figured I'd ask here.
I have some precut stringers, and I've noticed that the routered slots for the treads taper from about 1 3/8" in the rear to a 1" bullnose front. Can anyone tell me why it's tapered? And also, how would I go about putting the treads in? I assume they need to be wedged from underneath the tread somehow? Thanks for any info!
I think they're designed to be used with prefab (tapered) treads. I never thought about how to put the trads in, must be from behind.
On Tue, 03 May 2005 01:14:38 GMT, "Mark Fitzgerald"

They're intended for stair wedges, which are driven under the tread to reduce squeaking.
Steve Manes Brooklyn, NY http://www.magpie.com/house
Steve Manes wrote:

Yes, spread with glue and then driven in.
Harry K

I figured it was something like that. I'll have to see if they are something that is readily available...thanks. I just wanted to make sure that I was on the right track before I tried to find the stuff I needed.

A chunk of wooden shingle will work