Pre-treat weeds with soapy water before spraying weed killer?

A cite that starts with "GMO"? Really?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

OT for weeds, but not OT for killer. Some infants and toddlers have died when the well meaning doctor told them to give a certain dose of Baby Tylenol, and got it wrong. Pesticides, or pain pills. Read the directions provided.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not used as per manufacturer's instructions = miss-use in the eyes of "the law"

Reply to
clare

Did you check out the link , or are you just bustin' my ass without even looking ? What the guy is sayin' makes sense ... and do you really think the GMO crowd is going to tell us the truth if it impacts their profits ? Monsanto wants to *OWN* the food supplies in this country , and hellyeah they'll lie to protect profits . Check the guy out , check the science out . Or is your google-fu busted ?

Reply to
Terry Coombs

you are just making that up.

Reply to
Pico Rico

From the About link:

"The GMO Evidence project is run by a group of citizens who have no direct connection with the organisations or scientists"

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Does that negate the validity of the findings of those scientists ? I'm not sure if you're supporting me or ... there are a lot of questions in a lot of people's minds about just how benign that stuff is . And again I say "Is Monsanto going to be forthcoming about it if it impacts their bottom line?" . And the answer is "Of course not." .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

The Feds don't care what you see, only what they see.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Homeguy:

No, Ortho has some pretty good chemists working for them, and I expect the reason why the Weed B Gon is beading up on the leaves is that you're spraying way too much on.

You shouldn't prespray with a surfactant because the more water the leaf absorbs from the soapy water, the less chemical it will absorb from the herbicide you've sprayed.

When I was a kid I used to get rashes on my hands whenever I went to a public swimming pools because of the additional chlorine added to the water in the pool. It occured to me that the problem was that my skin was absorbing chlorine from the water, and that's what was causing the rash. To solve the problem, my mother used to have me dip my hands in a pan of distilled water for about 10 minutes before I went into the pool, and that solved the problem. My skin would absorb the distilled water, and then when it was exposed to the chlorinated water, it wouldn't absorb nearly as much chlorine.

I expect it'd be exactly the same thing if you sprayed with soapy water first, or sprayed your weeds with herbicide shortly after a rain storm. The plants will absorb moisture from whatever source they can get it first, and then absorb considerably less from any other source once the plant's stem and leaf cells are saturated with water.

Reply to
nestork

You asked us if we read the link you provided, but apparently you didn't read it yourself. If so, you'd know that the reference you gave is not to "scientists" but to just one scientist. And if you read what he actually wrote, there is absolutely nothing there that even comes close to implicating glyphosate in CCD. All he does is suggest that it's a possible cause based on speculation. He has absolutely nothing showing cause and effect. And he's note that he's a plant scientist, not an entomologist working with bees.

And yeah, when the one link you find to try to pin CCD on glyphosate comes from an anti-GM website that has nothing to do with CCD, it raises suspicions.

I'm not

There are a lot of questions in a lot of people's minds about a lot of things. None of which have anything to do with implicating glyphosate in CCD. If you asked anyone associated with that website anything about glyphosate, they'd probably blame it for everything from bad breath to alzheimers.

Reply to
trader_4

How about we just agree to disagree on this subject ? It's apparent we both have strong opinions , and neither is going to be argued out of what we think . I have seen several articles about glyphosate , and it's not as benign as they would have you think . And it's everywhere ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

The strong opinion I have here is that if you're going to make some claim, it should be based on fact. And that if you start jumping to conclusions based on conjecture and what's in people's minds, as opposed to scientific proof, it can lead to bad things. I see nothing that "implicates" glyphosate in CCD. All you have is one paper by one plant scientist, not a bee researcher working on CCD, that raises it as a possibility. And I'd also note that in the paper he says "This proposal is initiated to determine if glyphosate is a contributing factor in CCD by analyzing exposure of bees to this chemical....." That isn't implicating anything. All he's done is raise glyphosate as one more possibility worthy of investigation and suggest that it actually be investigated. I would hope you can see the difference between someone theorizing that glyphosate *might* play a role and your claim that it has been "implicated".

Reply to
trader_4

Brushing against leaves is all it takes around here.

Reply to
Guv Bob

Oh!, Oh!, Mr. Kotter! I know. It's the water.

Reply to
Mike

Under "Poisonous Principles," the University of Georgia says the plant is polite to people who politely brush the leaves.

Yesterday, a man installing gutter guards told my aunt she had a poison ivy vine on the side of her house. With her permission, he politely clipped the base and politely pulled the vine off the house with his bare hands. His assistant didn't want to ride in the truck with him. He didn't understand that only rude people get poisoned.

Reply to
J Burns