Pre-treat weeds with soapy water before spraying weed killer?

Page 3 of 4

the squirrels were acting squirrelly? How so?

Squirrels acting strange?
Is there a punch line or was that it?
--
Dan Espen

On 7/14/2014 12:51 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

Aw, nuts. You asked before me.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Sunday, July 13, 2014 7:52:16 PM UTC-7, H o m e G u y wrote:

Try over in rec.gardens.
HB

That probably runs down the gutter to the lake. But when the Romans were putting an end to their enemies' foolishness, they salted their fields. If they can't grow, they can't eat, and if they can't eat, they can't be a nuisance to the Romans.
HomeGuy" <"Home wrote:

* <<<<directly>>>> *

Then you'd best update your info , because glyphosate has been implicated in CCD . You can bet your sweet ass I won't be using anything that hasn't been PROVEN safe for bees , there's a pretty big investment sittin' out there in the orchard .
--
Snag

On Monday, July 14, 2014 8:01:45 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

Sure, if by "implicated" you mean that someone has merely put it on a long, long list of possible causes, including other chemicals, viruses, bacteria, etc. If you mean there is actual data from a study that shows cause and effect, that I'd like to see....
trader_4 wrote:

Did you know that 3/4 of the hives in the USA are in California while the almond trees are blooming ? Didn't think so . There are beekeepers that truck their hives all over the country hiring them out as pollinators . Between varroa mites , tracheal mites , small hive beetles , American foul brood and other problems it's been estimated we now have less than a third of the beehives <feral and domesticated> we had 15 years ago . And as far as CCD , the information I have is that it is PROBABLY a combination of factors , including glyphosate exposure along with neonicotinoid insecticides in sub lethal dosages and stress from cold weather . Nothing is definite , true , but they learn more every day . Now that we have invested in beekeeping , I'm VERY interested in anything that can harm Our Ladies of the Hive .
--
Snag

Our go-to guy here was the Arkansas state bee inspector , has been in the
On 7/14/2014 8:17 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Monday, July 14, 2014 8:17:30 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

I suspect that number is bogus, but I'd be happy to see the source. And for you to explain how one terrorist crop duster is going to cover the huge area of California that the bee hives are dispersed in. Plus there are a hell of a lot of other bees in the USA, besides ones kept in hives.
There are beekeepers that

And I thought glyphosate poisoning was "implicated" as the big problem. I'd like to see a source for that too.....

Now we're getting closer to the truth. I'd like to see a consensus where those actually researching CCD say that glyphosate is on that short list. You posting it is the first that I've heard of it and it sounds suspiciousl y like stuff the hippie GMO crowd comes up with, as opposed to something that actual bee researchers have said. Link please.
On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 10:20:55 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

rather benign stuff that ALMOST kills the weeds.

combined with the weather extremes

and what federal laws would those be?
On 7/14/2014 11:59 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

Those referred to on the pesticide label that say, "It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling". Since the label doesn't instruct the user to mix it with another product, it's not being used in the prescribed manner.
This seems like nitpicking to some, but it is (sometimes) deadly serious. People playing science experiment can mix up some hazardous combinations. They can also end up killing more than the intended targets. My favorite from working in the lawn and garden trade was the idiot owner of the business, who used to just reach behind him to whatever shelf he was leaning on, grab any bottle, and tell the customer that it was the solution for whatever problem the customer had. We'd get the angry phone calls later, after the customer had applied the weedkiller to their apple tree, or sprayed their vegetable garden with the systemic insecticide, rendering all the produce inedible. That's when we'd quote that label directive to them. If they had only read the label before applying it, they'd have discovered that the owner was full of shit, and only cared about making a quick buck. And never, never, take another person's word for what you can use the product for. If it's not listed on the label, it hasn't been tested for that purpose, meaning you are gambling - and like those customers who trusted my boss, you might lose big.
On 7/15/2014 10:03 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

OT for weeds, but not OT for killer. Some infants and toddlers have died when the well meaning doctor told them to give a certain dose of Baby Tylenol, and got it wrong. Pesticides, or pain pills. Read the directions provided.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

+1 fuck him, funny how he thinks we're all idiots, but asks us to solve his problems. Hell I'll send him some Dallisgrass and see how stumped he gets trying to kill it <chuckle>

BAH!
On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 21:59:33 -0700, "Pico Rico"

I don't see the mis-use.