Pre-pasted wallpaper -- does the adhesive deteriorate in storage?

We have some pre-pasted wallpaper we bought about 5 years ago and never used. Now, in a new house, we're trying to use it, but it doesn't want to stick -- not just at the edges, but anywhere. Yes, I have followed the instructions: immerse in water -- reverse rolled -- for no more than 15 seconds, then leave for 5 minutes with the wet pasted surfaces in contact.
The layer of paste seems very thin -- almost non-existent -- and the paper doesn't slide around easily for careful positioning like some other pre-pasted paper I used recently.
Or is this just crappy wallpaper?
Perce
Could be crappy paper or old paper. I've decided after many experiences like yours to just paste the stuff with real paste.
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

I did the same, and the results were not great. It is still up, but it was cheap stuff that I kept for several years before tackling the chore. Seams want to loosen just a tiny bit. I bought the same paper, different color, and put it up right away. Borth are in bathrooms. The one I papered right away is fine.
An old pro told me to use half-strength paste to put up pre-pasted paper. The paper I used includes those instructions now. Wallpaper is like paint - no point in using cheap versions of either, as it is too much work to do over again. I plan on this paper lasting for my lifetime (I'm old :o)
they actually make a paste for prepasted paper....Go figure that one.

It's called pre-paste activator, dry or redid-mixed. HD stocks it as well as some paint stores.