Pre-Finished quarter round

I'm installing some quarter round molding, It is the pre-finished fabricated kind of material that you buy to match laminate flooring. My question is, since this molding will not be painted should the finish nails be countersunk with a nail set and the holes filled? Seems like they should but I'm not certain about filling nail holes on molding that won't be painted. What is the correct thing to do?
Thanks, Vic
Vic wrote:

Glue?
You can countersink, I guess, and cover the hole with matching filler. Don't put the nail into the laminate.
I see you didn't take my original suggestion about removing the baseboards and putting the laminate underneath.

I had already begun laying the flooring when you recommended removing the baseboards, I just hadn't worked my way up to the door jambs. Next job the baseboards will be removed. I would be curious to know what most installers do with regard to existing baseboards.

I either remove the baseboards and reinstall them later, or I apply quarter-round to hide the expansion gap. Which I do depends on what the client wants.
I prefer to do the quarter-round because it's faster. There's also an good possibility that the baseboard isn't big enough to cover the required expansion joint.
p.s. I always fill the holes, even on wood-grain quarter-round. I also caulk the gap between the baseboard and the quarter-round.
Your other responder is correct: nail the quarter-round to the baseboard, not to the flooring--you don't want it moving in and out with weather changes.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
SteveBell wrote:

Dont like removing existing baseboard unless customer is replacing it. It always seems to crack or break when you think your almost done. And I agree with you on the baseboard covering the gap.

I prefer this method tooo. And the caulking

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"
Vic wrote:

here, but it was done just after a new paint job without dinging the paint. No quarter round.
Norminn wrote:

Could you explain to me what tool they used to undercut existing baseboard? I can't imagine undercutting 60 plus linear feet of baseboard. Cutting that far up, usually there's not much meat left on the baseboard.
Just curious
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"
On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 11:03:53 -0800, Vic wrote:

Seems to me I picked up some finishing brads that were stained a brown color for some brown trim. The brads came in different colors. Tacked them flush with the trim.
Vic wrote:

would. If this is above a floating floor, remember to make sure the nails only go sideways into the baseboard, not down into floor or into the expansion space. Same place that sells the flooring and trim should have the matching nails. If you accidentally make visible scars, they also usually have matching marker pens to color over the oopsies with.
-- aem sends...

If you use a brad nail gun the brads will be deeply set and nearly invisible. Use a colored putty if that isn't good enough. No way i would ever go back to using a hammer and nail set these days, the nailer is so much better.
Joe