Praise for another manufacturer

Not relating to home appliances, although I think LG does make appliances as well. In fact I think our Kenmore microwave is by LG.
A 19" 4:3 LG LCD monitor quit while still -- just -- in warranty. I called LG on Tuesday, and a replacement arrived by FedEx today -- but not one of those old-fashioned 19" 4:3 relics: a 23" wide-screen one.
I have a pre-paid shipping label to send the old one back. FedEx will pick it up.
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

We got the same treatment recently with a dead satellite box. I'll ask for a bouquet of cut flowers next time an appliance dies - figure I've paid for it many times over. Just tossed an HP computer monitor, which was about 4 years old. When this one dies, I'm done with computers. I'll let the TV die, too, and go back to radio. Tired of paying for junk.

Now if your computer is new enough to provide the video resolution needed for the wide screen (probably 16 to 9) monitor you will be all set.
Don
On 12/31/09 07:51 pm, IGot2P wrote:

Yep. It works fine at 1920x1080. Room to open more windows on the screen.
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Heck I'm half blind so I set my 22" ViewSonic to 1024X768. I can't see those itsy bitsy icons and words. It drives me nuts to work on someone computer when they have the monitor set to those extreme resolutions. ARRRRGH!
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

You're fixing a symptom and not the cause (I had the same problem).
The solution is to use larger icons, and to set your text larger. This has the added benefit of running the monitor at it's native resolution, giving you crisper text, while fixing the "tiny text" problem.
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

Thanks Jon but it doesn't work for me. I'm very nearsighted and have some other vision problems. I've been dealing with this problem I have with computer displays for 30 years and my vision has gotten worse over that time. I love large screen monitors so I can see what the heck I'm doing! I'd love to get a 26-27" monitor but the prices are still out of my range right now. I remember the first 17" CRT monitor I got back in 1993 and I was so happy that my dealer price was $549.00. I later got hold of a pair of 22" CRT monitors that had a .22 dot pitch which was like looking at film because of the resolution. Those huge monsters take up a lot of room and are as heavy as a fat woman. Thank your chosen deity for LCD displays.
TDD
On 01/01/10 12:03 am, The Daring Dufas wrote:

I have a Samsung monitor with the same preferred resolution on another machine. It blanks out after 20 seconds at other resolutions.
Perce
IGot2P wrote:

I guess they're better with electronics than appliances. I was looking for a fridge a while back and by far the most and worst failure/warranty/service horror stories were with LG's or Kenmore branded ones made by LG.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Yep, that's my experience. My fridge stopped working a few days out of warranty, with what was apparently a well-known and well-documented part failure, and LG did NOT want to hear about it. Even the repairman was stunned at the terrible service he received when ordering the part.
Jo Ann