PR valve problem?

My water pressure sometimes seemed about a fourth of what it should be. Often it's fine. The utility company came out and (on a good day) measured my pressure inside at 70. And we have good pressure in the area. The home is 30 years old and he suggested trying a new PR valve. After buying one, I read the instructions on maintaining the thing. So I then took the old one apart and took a lot of fair sized pebbles out of the spring area. Cleaned everything I could find and put it back. So far-so good. I'll keep the new assy for awhile, though. Any thoughts? Was what I did perhaps enough? Gerry

Perhaps.