powering a 12v 1HP winch

I have a one amp charger (got it free from my cousin in 1965) and prefer to use it, better for the battery. I"m not sure that is the same as a trickle charger. I have a vague recollection that trickle chargers are said to be good for keeping something charged but take forever to charge something up.
But I'm lazier in my old age, and usually use my 10 amp charger to charge my battery enough for the car to start.**
In your situation, I might want or 3 to 4 amp charger instead.
In a cursory search, Amazon has a B&D 6/4/2 amp charger for 30 dollars shipping included that should be plenty good for this and almost any other need you'll have. I can't imagine spending 70 to 140.

I know you have the winch already, but any chance the lawnmower could pull the load up by itself? Wrapping a rope around a pully, or just driving away from the basement?

You could do that too.
** (I found the 10 amp charger on a sidewalk in Brooklyn. The selenium diodes were not working. I spend a lot of time looking for big seleneium diodes but couldn't find any, even in NYC and the 4 other boroughs. Put the thing aside, and five years later, it worked fine. Worked for 20 years, then the selenium diodes didn't work anymore. I used a bunch of 1 or 2 amp top hat diodes and it works fine again. It's got to be 40 years old at least.

Or you could tie the rope to the Impala and pull the dirt up with that?

BTW, not all battery cables are created equal. This has been a problem for the United States of Battery Cables, but fortunately that's just two guys and a warehouse.
I don't know what it takes to carry 60 amps, 8 gauge?

I hadn't considered how much current a 1HP winch needs, according to other posters. Do the guys with winches on their trucks leave their engine running when using the winch?
Anyhow, maybe I can make one of my suggestions better. If the Impala is your car then when you're doing this, you have no other use for the car. Meaasure the rope, the distance X from the loaded hopper to where you want the hopper to come to rest. Put a 6 foot stake in the ground where you have the car at the beginning and another stake X feet ahead of that, where you want to stop the car. Or use a helper for that part. :)
Make sure the rope or cable doesn't snap and hit the helper in the eyes, but then again, you would have had to do that with the winch too.

Pull your Impala over to the side of the house. Get an extra wheel from a junkyard and remove the tire. Jack up the car so one of the drive wheels is off the ground. Install the rim at that position. Chock all the other wheels as securely as you know how. Attach a rope to the bucket. Start the car and put it in the appropriate gear. Throw a couple loops of the rope over the tire, then pull on the free end to tension the rope around the rim, as if it was a sailboat winch. When the load gets up to level ground, let the free end of the rop slack and then shut off the Impala.
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)
snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

That's what my grandpa would have done. And he managed to die of more or less natural causes-- but the men of his generation were much more likely to die of accidents than we are today-- and they were far more likely to be missing a finger or two, or a hand, or an arm.
But there is no question- on the quick and dirty scale, this is a winner.
Jim
Simply brilliant.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

For what you are going to do, a simple hand operated come-along would make a lot more sense.
Either that, or pull the load directly with the Impala.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote: ...

Yeah, or a block and tackle would be faster...but what's the fun in that???

:)

On Monday, July 13, 2009 7:57:03 PM UTC-5, elbrecht wrote:

Use the Impala, keep it running as the draw is high attach directly to the battery with clamps.. The lawnmower may work but the amps of the car/truck battery will be better.
On Thursday, August 15, 2013 10:37:13 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Maybe he should just put the 12V winch up on Ebay and then find another winch that is 120V. Sounds easier to me. If that was the intended use, why get a 12V one?
This post is from 2009. Wonder if he's made any progress?
On 8/15/2013 4:19 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 17:02:53 -0400, Stormin Mormon
I was by there and there is a pile of dirt about 4x4x4 ft.

Hehe-- Actually I managed to do all the dirt moving without a machine to pull the loaded platform up the ramp. I had completely underestimated the power of all those little skate wheels on the conveyor.
Anyone need a 4yr old, un-used winch? [actually I still have plans for it-- but life has been interfering with them<g>]
Jim

Cut rest.
Mickey? just mentioned the lack of dates on web pages. Elbrecht's question appears to have been from four years ago.