powering a 12v 1HP winch

Page 1 of 2
I picked up a winch that I'll be using to pull dirt out of my basement. So now I need to power it.
It is a one horse motor- 2000lb capacity. (Amazon.com product link shortened)
I'll be using it to pull a [roughly] 300pound load up a wheeled incline for 20 feet--- then it will rest for 30 minutes or so-- then repeat. Probably not more than 3 times. . . then do it again tomorrow.
So I won't be working the thing real hard. What are some thoughts on how to power it.
I've thought of a marine battery- and trickle charge overnight. I have the charger. Would have to buy the battery.
I've thought of a transformer. Have no idea what size or what they cost.
I've got an old riding mower with a bad transmission. Seems like overkill, but it has a good 8hp motor on it, and charges the little battery - so I think I could just run it off that battery when the motor is running.
Or I could pull the Impala around to the side of the house and tap into that 12v system.
What sounds like a feasible plan?
Thanks, Jim
Add pictures here
✖

Expect to pay $70-$140 for a battery charger and another $30 for a battery unless you've already got them laying about. Plus ramp and bucket.
It would probably make more sense to get day labor instead of riging up the contraption.
Add pictures here
✖
1 HP is 746 wattts. At 11 volts (under load) that's 68 amps. You could do that off a car battery for short periods, if you had a running car and jumper cables to bring the power back up. Use VERY short electrical connections between the winch and battery 2-0 wire or 4-0 is called for.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The load he is actually going to put on it requires more like 1/10 of a hp. More in the neighborhood of 10 amps or less.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 20:28:58 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE

The winch can exert a force of 2000 pounds and some thought the whole load would be 300 plus the 100 pound hopper. Much less than its total capacaty.
That raises a common question for me. Are winches smart enough to use less just because a smaller winch could do the job?
Are wallwarts, adapters, smart enough to use less even when the low-voltage appliance or electronic device they power are turned off. HOw much less? I know that if there is no current in the secondary, that someone provides more impedance to the primary, but I don't know how much or what the resulting current is in the primary, whose own internal resisstance and internal impedance hasn't changed.
The winch doen't have a secondary. Does it have a speed control? The url he gave mentions on/off toggle but no speed control. What happens when the load is much less than maximum? Does it turn faster or the same speed, but using less current? How much less?
Add pictures here
✖

The load is not 300 pounds plus 100 pounds. The whole thing is being pulled up an inclined plane with wheels on it, not dead lifted.
Add pictures here
✖
mm wrote: ...

"Smart?", no--but nature takes care of it automagically...

Winches in general are single speed.
Same (essentially) speed, less current.
How much -- look at the table at the url; there was an expected current vs load chart there.
✖
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

It'd probably be faster and easier to just pull the bucket out yourself. How much load can a full bucket be?
Add pictures here
✖

-snip-
I'm sure it would be faster. But I don't think it would be easier than sitting down and pushing a button while I sip a cold glass of water.
Though before I spend a lot of effort making the winch work I probably ought to get the ramp & sled in operation and see how much effort is really needed.
I had planned on resting for the 5 minutes or so it would take to pull the sled up the ramp. If I can pull it up with a couple pulleys in 1 minute, I suppose I could just sit for the other 4.<g>
Jim
Add pictures here
✖

I don't see why the lawnmower idea wouldn't work. It has the advantage of already being there & if an ATV is expected to support it, a riding lawnmower should. You should only need to run the engine while pulling and maybe a little before or after to have a bit of reserve. If I had to risk a charging system, a mower with a bad trans would be a better target than the Impala.
Add pictures here
✖

An electic winch wouldnt have been my first choice. I am guessing 300lbs of dirt + 100 lbs for the container up a 45 degree slope would equal about 200 lbs load on the winch. A good block and tackle, chain hoist or come-along would let you do this by hand. Since you got the winch I dont think there is going to be much of a load on it.
Jimmie
Add pictures here
✖
-snip-

10 yrs ago I would have done the block and tackle thing. If I did that now I'd probably only be able to do one load a day. I think I should be able to do 3-4 if I can rest while the winch is working. Still a nice slow job-- but my heart appreciates frequent rests.
Also- for those who suggest using a vehicle to pull it up--- I work alone and prefer to watch the load as it is moving. The winch gives me full control while watching what is happening.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖
You'd likely need very short, fat cables. From the winch to a car battery. Use jumper cables off the car or tractor to keep the car battery charged.
Plan B is to use a longer rope, and use the vehicle to pull the load up the ramp. Long, long rope. Might make more sense than winching up the ramp.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The battery is not cheap

Transformers are not 12vdc

Not powerful enough for a 1hp winch

The Impala sounds best. A 1hp winch motor is not 100% efficient. You may draw more than 100 amps.
Add pictures here
✖
Jim Elbrecht wrote: ...

1HP @ 12VDC --> 60+ A
Try the mower battery and see but you'll need a good set of cables. Don't recall what those little 1U batteries are typically rated for...
✖

I fried a regular car battery running a boat winch. I was pulling logs out of the woods with it and blew a cell open in the battery. Fortunately it was a Wal-Mart battery and they just swapped it out for me.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 22:53:07 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
-snip-

2 notes-- get a decent sized battery and buy it where I can return it easily.
Thanks- Jim
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 22:53:07 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

And the logs were a LOT heavier than his bucket of dirt
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 22:58:11 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

These were pepper trees not sequoias.
Add pictures here
✖

Most likely with the load he's got the winch will draw less than 20 amps, which the garden tractor battery and charging system will be able to handle, no problem.. Run the tractor for 10 minutes for each 3 - 4 minutes of running the winch.
Add pictures here
✖