*powerful* hand-held vacuum-cleaner (for stairs, etc)?

We've got one of those red Dirt-Devil things, and it's nice and all that -- beats as it sweeps as it cleans -- but it's just not all that powerful (in sucking).
No, don't want to strap an upright to my back as I work the stairs -- but is there anything, still reasonably priced, that does a bitter job than what I've got?
You know, same kind of thing, hand-held, ac-cord plugs into the 110v, etc?
Thanks!
David
snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote in

You could just get a longer hose for the upright(or ShopVac),long enough for you to do the entire stairway.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Good idea!
Never thought of it...
Only -- the hand-held has that rotating brush, like all the uprights do. Without that, it's just sucking; to get out the wee pebbles, etc, way down into the carpet, that brush-action seems like it'd be a help. (Else, why would the uprights use one, and for the cannisters, the super-horrible-expensive electrolux has one too. Unless its all pure hype?)
I *think* that I really want a more-powerful handheld.
Comments, anyone?
David
snipped-for-privacy@panix.com says...

I bought myself a Dirt Devil Scorpion about 4 months ago. The thing sucks up at 7 amps, has a nozzle attachment, and has an attachable shoulder strap. Long cord as well (16 feet). It's pretty loud though because of the powerful motor, and the dirt trap in the head fills up somewhat quickly, but what do you expect from a hand-held. I love it, great for cleaning shades as well thanks to the shoulder strap. Just checked bestbuy and it's listed for $19.99 (Model M08220). Good luck

Thanks for the info!
Will likely get one!
David

Has anyone here tried the new DeWalt DC515K?
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID654
Thanks,
Anthony