Powered crimping tool equivalent to COPALUM tool

Nobody has actually found a problem using CoALr devices when properly installed but hype has taken over the whole conversation. Most of the aluminum problems could actually be traced to bad workmanship and the houses that were going to burn down, already have. They are 40-50 years old now. Just about the time when the industry came up with the fixes for aluminum wire, (better alloys and better devices) they stopped using it. I also reject most of the dissimilar arguments too. It is very hard to find a lug that isn't aluminum and we put copper wire in them every day. (No Goo) The issue was coefficient of expansion in a screw binding terminal and they fixed it with a different screw in CoALr device.

Reply to
gfretwell

My house is now 43 years old. It was one of the last batch wired with aluminum in Kitchener - Waterloo - using the new improved alloy with standard (not COALR or AL-CU rated) I was changing insurance companies which required an inspection - and some insurance companies will not accept (grandfather) non co-alr devices without copper pigtails, so I changed everything to CO-ALR - then found I needed to install GFCI devices. (and I was replacing the fuse panel with breakers as well) I was able to use GFCI breakers in some circuits, but needed to use GFCI outlets for 4 outlets - and they don't make COALR GFCI outlets so I needed to pigtail them. I used stranded copper and MARR 65 connectors withnoalox paste.

There was not a single bad connection in the entire house and my "upgrade" passed 2 inspections.

There is actually a calibrated torque scewsriver that is "technically" required to torque all the screws on COALR devices.

Reply to
clare

I assume a MARR 65 is an Ideal 65 (purple wirenut) U/L says they are fine. Some bureaucrat at CPSC wrote a bad report on them and the networks picked it up.

I have a regular torque screwdriver with a phillips. I did the same deal on my 1971 house in Md, 40 years ago when the panic started. That was before the Ideal 65 tho. I put goo in 3m's with the live spring.

Reply to
gfretwell

Your assumption would be DEAD WRONG. The Thermoplastic Ideal is NOT approved for use on copper/aluminum connections in Canada any more because THEY are a fire hazard The Marr 85 is a brown phenolic wirenut that won't melt or burn if a connection gets hot.

The official desognation is a MARR ACS #65 connector. There is also the Marr ACS #63 connector (slightly smaller) The 65 is good for a minimum of 2 #14 wires and a maximum of 1 #12 + 2 #10 conductors. and good for copper to copper, copper to aluminum, and aluminum to aluminum. The spring is copper finished. They are made by Thomas & Betts / ABB.. They take less space than the "wingy" ideals as well.

Reply to
clare