Power Tool Input (what lasts)

Looking for input on your experience with power tools.
In people I have talked I get conflicting opinions about what power tools hold up the best.
Some have said it depends on how you take care of your tools. That's true to a point, but brands like B & D and Skil aren't near the top of the list.
In terms of warranty period, Milwaukee wins at 5 years.
Thanks.
Hi, I've had good luck with both Bosch and Porter cable. I've got a DeWalt recip. saw, it heats up quite a bit with lots of cutting.
Tony
--

"Be good and if you cant be good then dont get caught! LOL"
Andrew Kennedy <andrewkennedy2@ev1dotnet> wrote in message
I am a builder with 30 years experience. No one company makes all the best tools. It depends on the tool. for instance. IMO Skill makes the finest circular saw (the 77 worm drive). However, I wouldn't own a skill drill. Milwaukee makes a good sawszall, but there sanders are cheap homeowner quality. I have a bosch roto hammer which is indestructible but after 2 bosch planers I have switch to AEG.

Hi, I have a Bosch 14.4 pistol grip cordless drill, very powerfull and a Bosch jig saw, no problems. I have a Porter-cable circular saw and router kit, no problems either.
Tony

if I had to pick just one, it would be Bosch.... my sawzall is a porte cable, my circular saw is Milwaukee, my tablesaw is craftsman, my Router is Makita & mostly the rest are Bosch
Generally speaking..Milwaukee, Bosch, Port-cable, Hilti, AEG
Avoid skil(except 77), Makita, B&D,Dewalt,Rigid,Chicago Electric
The cordless tools do not last (and are more expensive). It depends on what you are buying for brand names. Power tools made in Taiwan or China are generally of lower quality and will not last as long as power tools made in Germany, Japan, or USA.

Have you had any experience with Makita and Rigid tools.

I have a Makita circular saw. 20 years old., but it only sees limited use. I only use it for mitered stair stringers. (on the right stringer you need to saw to tilt to the right and on a left stringer you need a saw to tilt to the left). The direct drive Makita tilts the opposite of a wormdrive. I have many ridged plumbing tools (pipe vise, pipe threader,etc) but no ridged power tools. The hand tools are excellent quality.

I have been using the same Makita circular saw for over 25 years with continuous daily use (framing). I would NEVER buy any other brand of circular saw. it IS the most versatile saw you will ever own.
Milwaukee sawzall has lasted just as long! I tried the porta-cable (tiger saw) sawzall (it lasted about 1 year)
My Bosch jigsaw has lasted through the years and is still going. The Dewalt lasted about 2 years.
Rigid..........is just H.D. crap!
There are really 2 Rigid's.
Rigid plumbing tools are recognized as "top shelf" hand tools and have a great reputation.
Rigid power tools only share the brand name with the plumbing tools. Home Crapo wanted a store brand for their power tools and bought/negotiated the brand name from Rigid. They are all subcontracted. (used to be Emerson Electric but it's probably some no name Chinese manufacturer these days).
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 11:21:12 GMT, "calhoun"

davefr wrote:

publish a calendar that was very popular with maintenance shops. Pretty models posing with Rigid Tool products. Probably can't do that anymore.
Comment on branding and old vs new tools. A lot of good tools of earlier times are no longer made by the original manufacturer. In many cases the name was sold to companies with no relationship to the original. When you hear a tool that is 30 years old is still going strong, that does not mean a new model of the same name will be as good. Example is the original DeWalt Radial Arm saw compared to the Black & Decker DeWalt Radial Arm. Porter Cable is another name that was sold. I have My Dad's 55 year old original Porter Cable circular saw that will probably outperform most you can buy today. You can plug it in, rev it up, unplug it, and saw a 2 x 4 in half while it coasts down. That's all the salesmen had to do to sell them on the house construction jobsites after WW II. Try that with a Craftsman!

Who says you cant? Rigid sure didnt....
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Calendar/index.htm

I would not want it on any circular. Electric brake, or one that stops when you want it to stop....no need to have that much gear reduction...

Milwaukee wins at LIFETIME! Plus a 30 day trial period.