Power Tool Brand Preference

I may not end up with anything useful from this, but I'm gonna give it a try anyway ...
For corded power tools such as drills, circular saws, etc., available at stores like HD or Lowes, which of the brands are thought of most highly? My father was a carpenter, and growing up the best stuff I saw was Porter Cable, Milwaukee, and such. Now I see those lined up beside others like DeWalt, Bosch, Makita, Hitachi. My guess is that for the average homeowner, any of these would give satisfactory performance and a long life (I'm generally talking about the heavier duty versions). Have any of these emerged as clearly superior or inferior?
- Magnusfarce
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 00:20:52 -0800, "Magnusfarce"

I'd eliminate all the Jap brands. Support American labor, we need jobs here. That leaves Milwaukee and DeWalt. I am no fan of Black & Decker, and they are the same company as DeWalt. That leaves you with Milwaukee. They make top quality, but they tend to be pricey. However, you get waht you pay for.

Then Milwaukee now needs to be off the list as well....they got bought out a while back by a Hong Kong firm....the same company that owns Ryobi, for example...
http://www.willkie.com/firm/news_detail.aspx?id25496305
The decline in quality on the newer items is already starting to show.
If you want to support American labor, you can add Hitachi to the list, as many of the cordless tools are made by Hitachi North America...not all Milwaukee tools are made here either...many are made in Germany.
ߩ wrote:

Your choice.
You can buy a tool made in China or Bangladesh and, with the money you save, you can help put your kid through college, take the entire family to a professional sporting event, or replace the air conditioning unit in your car.
Or you can subsidize union labor so they can.
It is true we need jobs here, but we neither need nor want most manufacturing jobs. Of course, preparing a hamburger is a manufacturing job....

For what? There won't be a job in the USA that requires a college degree by the time s/he gets out.
You don't need a MA to say "Would you like fries with that?"

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
My opinion is that you will be happy with any of the brands you mentioned. Just research each type of tool you want and see if the brands offer similar features. My personal favorite power tool brand is Milwaukee. However, I did buy a Black and Decker 3/8 and 1/2" corded drill for some projects around the house. They were inexpensive, and for a reason. They are meant for light duty use. So if you are intending to use them occasionally, then they will all be fine. If you want to save some money, go for the cheaper brands.
One other thing I do when shopping for power tools is to buy the best designed tool for my needs, regardless of brand. Even though I prefer Milwaukee, I do have a Dewalt sliding compound miter saw. I determined for my needs, the Dewalt was best suited (extended use, heave duty use). So for me, spending extra for the Dewalt was very well worth the price.
Stephen R.

Magnusfarce wrote:

I'm an extremely cheap sob and I make a living with tools. I'm also not very bright so it's taken me a few years to realize that when you spend bucks up front, the best tools are the cheapest. I've also found if you can find tools made in the USA or Europe they are better than most stuff made in third world asian toilets. That said Milwaukee or Porter Cable is my first choice. But you better hurry up if you want Milwaukee I heard that their European owners just sold them down the toilet. Dave
i had 2 milwaukee cordless hammer drills 14.4 & 18 both were perfect. both were stolen. before those i had a dewalt 18 v cordless hammer drill and it sucked . the clutches kept going bad. but i do have 1 again and other than a defective battery it's been good. Buuuut . . my boss has a RIGID corded hammer drill and it's a kick ass drill.
My son just bought a B&D corded hammer drill. He just needed to drill 4 holes in his garage floor. Took 2 drills. The first brand new one got throught 1 and 1/2 holes and went up in smoke. Literally. In less than 20 minutes.
Wayne