Power Surge/Frigidaire Dishwasher - troubleshooting help needed!

Well, what a mess! Just when I thought I'd discovered all the casualties of Friday's power surge (including my garage door opener), a full load of dishes doesn't want to run.

The outlet is good. The wiring is properly hooked into the new breaker box. I tried stringing an extension cord from another outlet. The dishwasher shows absolutely no sign of life. It's a 1995 Frigidaire Gallery.

I have the dw apart now, nothing smells like hot wiring like my door opener did. No obvious signs of anything that had gotten hot. After a couple phone calls, I guess there is no fuse, and the problem was likely the door switch, but after testing, I don't think that's the case.

What I've done so far:

unplugged the dw. Carefully scraped a small part of the insulation off the four wires going into the switch (there was no exposed wire). Plugged the unit in. Kept the door switch off. With my dad's digital meter set at 500, I touched the probes to the little bits of wire showing through. The bottom black and white wires are obviously the "in" wires, they showed about 118 on the meter. The top wires showed nothing.

Then I latched the door switch on. Tested the top wires the same way as the bottom wires, hoping that the reading would be nothing so I'd know it was the switch, but it read about 120 also. I guess this means that the switch is not the culprit.

I have the schematic/wiring diagram here, it was under the panel when I opened everything up. I wish I knew what I was looking for now. I don't really know how to do anything else with the meter as far as tracing the wiring diagram. I was really hoping it would be that switch...

any advice would be really appreciated

Gina

Reply to
gina

Hi,

Have a model# of the d/w?? Usually around the door opening....

model# helps.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Whole house surge suppresors realy are not apreciated until a major event occurs. If other things were affected perhaps your ins will cover it, but most likely not. Are you sure it wasnt lightning, ins covers that.

Reply to
m Ransley

Yea blame a lifes occurance on the EX , WHAT A BITCH

Reply to
m Ransley