Power supply to a new cieling fan

I need to install a cieling fan in my kitchen. It would be cinch of a job if the current kitchen light is where the fan would be installed. Instead, the kitchen has multiple spot lights around the perimeter. What is the best way to connect to power short of running a new cable to the service panel? Thanks.

Reply to
hat

What if any access do you have to the area above the ceiling?

Reply to
Meat Plow

And what is the switching arrangement desired for the fan vis a vis the existing lights?

So many questions, so few answers... :)

Reply to
dpb

I have total access to the attic. I think I will just use the fan/ light pull-down switches to control on/off. There will be no need for wall switch. If worst come to worse I can install a fan with a remote switch. All I need is a power supply.

Reply to
hat

Install a fan support box and tap any 15 amp non switched feed you can find in the attic and wire it into the box. Attic light feed would be fine if it's on a pull chain

Reply to
RBM

I recently installed one with a remote and would never again put in a fan without one again. They work great and are well worth the couple of extra dollars.

Reply to
jimmyDahGeek

I agree. The remotes make it much easier to install in a new location, as you just need a hot, no need to route cable to wall switch, cut holes, etc. Plus the remote is a nice convenience and they usually have a wall mounting clip if you want a place to have it on the wall, more like a regular switch.

Reply to
trader4

Have a Hunter in my bedroom with an OEM remote that controls the light (dimmer included) and fan seperately. It's a radio frequency remote and I had problems with the light and fan coming on until I switched channels. But your right, remotes are the bomb and I paid maybe 25 bucks for mine.

Reply to
Meat Plow

if your smoke detectors are on the ceiling they could be a good source of power if the circuit isnt to heavily loaded

Reply to
sym