Power Screw Driver

Hi, could someone recommend a good power screwdriver. I will be using it mostly to build temporary walls that will be tore down after the project. I would like to reuse the lumber. I have many drills, my problem is I buy the screws and the bit to and they slip off or as soon as the screw meets any resistance the bit strips the screw. I would like to buy a good screw driver or a special chuck for my multitude of corded variable speed drills. I have a Home Depot close by. Any recommendations? Thanks Dave

try to shop at a reputable hardware store instead of Home Cheapo you probably bought those easily stripped screws there didn't you?
All hardware stores are not the same

This is Turtle.
There is 3 types of phillips screw driver heads and you have to get the # 1 , # 2 , or the # 3 to fit the size of the slot of the head of the screws that your using. If you have the right screw head to fit the slot of the screw head. it will not slip.
TURTLE
I've had excellent results using "Phillips Square Drive" screws. They hang onto a magnetized bit quite nicely, allowing one handed driving.
Jeff
--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

hey Jeff two hands on the wheel while driving please there are others on the road stop acting like you are the only one here. there was a time when I was.....................

Thanks Jeff, thats sounds like what I need. Is Phillips Square Drive a brand name? Are they sold at Home Depot or hardwares? Thanks again Dave
It sounds like bits and screws dont match Square drive might be better for you. A screwgun wont help if you have variable speed on your drills , go slower. and get good bits , alot are crap or predrill.

Thanks for all the sugestions guys, tomorow morning I will pass an Ace Hardware and I will stop in and see if they have some "Robertson Screw Square-drive screws". Also if I remember correctly the lumber yard sells screws, I will check there also. Thanks again, I will check back and let everyone know how I made out. Dave
\||/ _____oOO_\(..)/_OO____ __|_____|____/ \___|__gnv|__ |_____|_____|_\__/|_____|_____| __|____David L. Bishop____|__ |___Http://www.sstar.com/washer |_____|_____|_____|_____|

Big-Dave wrote:

Yes, I've bought them at Home Depot. They're often sold for securing deck boards to joists. The ones I've bought have a light tan colored anti-rust coating on them. (Though I don't know how well that'd work with the currently produced pressure treated lumber. I hear that nothing less than stainless hardware will hold up "forever" with that stuff.)
Th "Robertson" square drive screw IIRC has a square recess in the head. The "Phillips Square Drive" combines that square recess with cross slots similar to those on a regular Phillips head screw. Robertson screws have been used for years in furniture manufacturing and are beginning to penetrate other markets. McFeely's has a good selection of them:
http://www.mcfeelys.com
Good luck,
Jeff
--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

It's Robertson. I get my Robertson square drive screws from McFeely's. I think there's a web site, so try googling.
They really do work. I'm not the strongest person in the world, but I can drive square drive screws a lot easier than slots.
Mary
snipped-for-privacy@qnet.com
Try mcfeelys.com.

First, are you pressing hard enough?
You have to press hard enough that the bit does not become forced out by the torque being converted into a push back along the line of the bit. You should start out pressing lightly, and as the screw goes in press harder and harder. Try hard to keep the bit in line with the screw. A dab of grease makes the screw go in easier, and reduces the need to push so hard. The bit should be able to hold onto the screw if you put it on when horizontal.
You should also have the drill set to a moderate speed.
A torque limit is often handy, but you can usually make do with a speed limiter, and progressive trigger.
Driving the screws in at full speed and expecting the screw/bit to be able to bring the inertia of the drill running at a high speed to a rest in a fraction of a turn just asks for the bit to slip, or break the screwhead.
Big-Dave wrote:

Assuming that you are not using Philips screws and drivers and they are matched for size and you are keeping the drill aligned and reasonable pressure and not meeting excessive resistance, then I suggest square drive screws. They are sold just for that use. They are made by a number of manufacturers. Make sure you are using the right size driver for the screws. They cause much less problems and are easier to use.
If the screws are very hard to turn, you may need to pre-drill pilot holes first.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
If you already have a variable speed drill, that will do as well as a power screwdriver. A common problem people have is using a bit that doesn't fit the screw head, not using enough pressure, and not keeping the bit centered and aligned with the screw. The best device I have seen to help with this is a magnetic bit holder that also has a tube that can be slid forward to cover the screw. I know Stanley makes them; I'm sure others do too. With the tube slid forward, the screw is held in alignment; as you drive the screw, the tube slides up until it uncovers the head of the screw just as you sink it. If you can find one of those, do a couple of practice screws so you know just how much pressure is needed. This will work for your application, as you aren't doing fine carpentry; were you making furniture, a problem would be that the tube can mar the wood as it is pushed up.
Big-Dave wrote:

there.

Forget Home Despot, they sell cheap stuff. I've used their screws in the past but won't any more. Get good screw from someplace like www.mcfeelys.com Buy square drive screws and buy a couple of the bits and you will be in business. Or get Spax brand from www.leevalley.com
Square drive (Robertson style) tend not to cam out when you reach the end and need more torque. I just put together a chaise lounge using about 160 screw up to 2 1/2" long and had no problems, no pre-drilling. I did drill a recess as I was covering the screw heads with plugs, but no pilot holes. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Makita 6916 impact driver/drill.
RB
Big-Dave wrote:

<< Hi, could someone recommend a good power screwdriver. >>
If you prefer a corded drill get one with variable 0-600rpm speed. Anything faster will make controlling the operation totally miserable. Milwaukee and DeWalt 18V cordless drills (on low speed) work well with Robertson square drive screws, which are getting more common every day. Check out the Senco screw driving systems now available. Details on their website. Might be something there you would prefer, and available through Amazon or even your local lumber yard (my preference). HTH
Joe