Power problems in house

We have a 8 year old house and have been having power problems the last few days.
When we turn on any large (or high draw appliance-washer, microwave, hair dryer etc) some of the lights dim (the incandescent ones) and sometimes stay dim until the device shuts off. This is a new problem and has never happened. We've not done any new wiring or added any new appliances recently.
An electrician friend checked the breaker panel says it's probably a bad 'neutral?' and to call the local utilities. The local utilities checked the meter and said all was fine, but put a 'logger' on it to check the meter over a day or two.
Thats where we are now, waiting for the utilities to come back to see if they spot anything on the log.
In the meantime, (or if they say nothings wrong) anybody have any guesses?
Thanks.

My guess is the bad neutral.
wrote in message

If it's a bad neutral, some lights should get brighter. Just depends which side of the neutral they're on.
Al
Big Al wrote:

. Agree: But it may depend on which 'leg' (and the common neutral) the lights that happen to be on are connected to, at the time. Or it may just be that although some lights are getting brighter it just hasn't been noticed. It does sound like a bad neutral and since an electrician has checked inside the house it is most likely to be outside.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

More likely a bad hot. A bad neutral would likely be blowing lights on the "high" side in addition to dimming others. A bad connection on the hot side would just give significant voltage drop (and heating of the bad connection) under load.
Pete C.
Pete C. wrote:

. Yup that too a possibility! Might also depends on a lot of factors, e.g. how well is the house neutral common with neutrals of other supplies in the area and or how well grounded at house and transformer etc. Also what other loads are across the 3 wire 115-0-115 supply etc.