Power problem (gremlin?)

Page 2 of 2
I love it when a plan comes together.
When the old fan came down so new one could go up, the problem was apparent...there was a remote sensor. Take out that and the old fan and light work fine. New fan goes back to Lowes.
Why the sensor cuts off power to the bulbs if they are removed and replaced I know not. Nor did we have a transmitter for the sensor. Might be one there somewhere but let the new owners/renters use the wall switches.
dadiOH - 1 Gremlin - 0
--

dadiOH

Are you sure it was a remote sensor? Sounds more like a power limiter so total lighting wattage was limited. If you put in bulbs totaling more than 190 watts, the limiter shuts the power off. That's been a DOE rule for fans built since 2009. If the limiter doesn't turn on the remaining bulbs when a bulb or bulbs are removed (there may be a time delay), it's faulty.
Yes, there can be remotes that control both the fan and the lights; but I've never seen one that just controls the lights and not the fan.
Tomsic
Tomsic wrote:

AFAIK, the remote controlled the circa 1996 fan too, probably did; however, the sensor didn't shut off power to it (reset it) when the bulbs were removed.
--

dadiOH