Power out on GFI circuit

My entire GFI circuit is not working, ie no lights/outlets on this line works. Thinking it's the GFI itself, I replaced it. No difference. The GFI outlet is right by the fuse box and it has full power and the green light is on. But not so at any of the other outlets or switches on that line.

I opened up a non-working outlet and checked voltages. There is a full 120 Volts between the white and ground and also between the black and ground, but no voltage between the black and white.

Everything has been fine for the 17 years I've lived here, so it puzzles me why it won't work now.

I'm new to this. Any ideas ?

Thanks

Reply to
VM

sounds like you have an open neutral (white wire) somewhere in the circuit as you should not have 110 volts between white and ground but you are seeing a back feed because of the open wire.Be sure to turn off the circuit when your working on it as open neutrals can bite real hard...... Mark H.

Reply to
Union 134

If you have 120v at the outlet, what isn't working?

Poor troll...

Reply to
Wade Lippman

I'd re-open that bathroom outlet and, after turning off the power, do a very thorough inspection of the box,wiring, and the outlet itself. The "green stuff" you found is most likely copper oxide. That is to copper as rust is to steel. It generally means water. This could be simply from the moist bath environment, but could be from water getting in from some other source.

I'd dis-assemble the entire thing and make sure there was no other sign of water. They I'd clean all the wires, replace the outlet itself (not worth cleaning since they are inexpensive) and any wirenuts, and put it all back together. Give it a couple months and re-heck it to see if it's still clean and dry.

Reply to
mwlogs