power invertor

Where do you live? I"ve never seen a UPS of any size in a Goodwill. I think there are still too many people who don't have one for people not to have a friend who can use their old one, if it works.
But maybe where you are that's not true.

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 02:47:49 -0400, Micky

Up here in Ontario Canada you see the odd one at thrift stores - but virtually nothing over 500va -
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 08:46:13 -0500, dilbert firestorm

A former co worker got tired of buying batteries for his 12 volt drill years ago. He just rigged up a cord for it with clamps for the battery. Maybe that would be an option since retailers are selling drills and such without batteries.

On 4/13/2016 6:56 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Theres a tip on how to do just that on www.instructable.com. I'd have to look for it tho.
that is something to consider.
I do have a Black & Decker Firestorm 12V or 14V power drill with dead batteries. not sure if its powerful enough to turn the jack. I did try it, it couldn't move it. I think I tried different settings.
--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me
"dilbert firestorm" wrote in message anyone recommend a good power invertor? just looking for something to power a corded power drill from a truck to use as a sort of a power jack on the scissors jack.
--
Dilbert Firestorm
remove *byteme* to email me
On 4/13/2016 8:46 AM, dilbert firestorm wrote:

I know about this, but I didn't want to get it as my truck has a scissors jack. But I will be getting that for my new car once I make up my mind on the model.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)98314651&sr=8-1&tag=lifehackeramzn-20&ascsubtag=[t|comment[p|466701649[a|B0027Z6F3W[au|5759050131709445631
fyi, I have a 2000 chevy S10.
--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me
On 4/14/2016 8:23 PM, dilbert firestorm wrote:

i really should get that one for my moms Honda accord. It has a weird looking jack. gave me some work out tho when her car had a flat.
--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 20:23:29 -0500, dilbert firestorm

The description is prettty funny. Twice it refers to adding air to the tire, "If you need to add air to your tires, just plug it into the cigarette lighter outlet" and "the Black Bull Electric Car Jack will air up your tires quickly and effortlessly.", but it says nothing about having a pump. And if I wanted a pump, I'd buy one separately. In fact, I did! And I would never jack up the car to add air to the tire.
It also calls it fully automatic, but it's only electric. If it were automatic you'd just place it under the car and it would go up automatically and stop when it was supposed to. That would be a lot more expensive.
Also says "It is lightweight and doesn’t weigh a ton, so it’s super easy to transport in and out of the trunk of the car. Packaged inside a compact and sturdy plastic case, it weighs only 11 pounds total and stores safely and easily until you need it most. That’s a convenience that teens, seniors, or folks with mobility impairments will appreciate." Why do teens need something light that stores easily and safely, any more than anyone does? Do they mean girls but they'r e afraid to say it?
Also, "No need to work up a sweat jacking a car up by hand". I have worked up a sweat with a GM bumper jack, but scissors jacks go so slow you can 't work up a sweat.
Despite all this, it seems like a good idea if a manual jack is hard for you.
And finally, it plugs into the cigarette lighter, but it doesn't say how many amps it uses so we can't judge if the fuse will blow. It's a motor, so it uses a lot on startup, I learned tonight. And with a jack, you'll be stopping and starting several times on the way up.
This one could be a problem.
On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 03:23:37 -0400, Micky

If you pop the picture of the jack up and zoom in it says right on it " maximum current 18 amps".
I'll agree nothing much in the Chinglish documentation makes much sense - but that goes along with what I daid about documentation and Chinese product (whether sold from China or the USA or Canada) - and mabee take that 18 amps with a few grains of salt as well - - -

I can't help with the power invertor, but is there some reason you can't use a cordless drill for that? I have a 20V Dewalt drill and haven't used a corded drill in years. If the cordless drill isn't strong enough, you could use a 20V cordless impact driver.
You could buy a cordless drill for the cost of the inverter and cables, and it would be a lot more useful.
The only time I have used my corded drill in the last 15 years is to drill large 2-1/4" holes with an auger bit for running plumbing lines. That thing has super torque that'll rip your arm off if you're not careful. :)
On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 9:28:54 AM UTC-5, HerHusband wrote:

I suggested that on page one.
On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 10:28:54 AM UTC-4, HerHusband wrote:

I use my corded drill when drilling holes with my Kreg Pocket Hole jig. Kreg recommends the highest speed possible for cleaner holes and a cooler bit. Greater than 2K is preferred and many cordless drills don't go that high.
I definitely get cleaner holes with my 2.8K max speed corded drill than either of my cordless drills. (Using the vacuum attachment on the jig helps a lot also)

I've always used my cordless drill with my Kreg pocket hole jig. Ironically, I always use the slowest speed setting on the drill. I only use pocket holes for cabinet face frames so the holes aren't seen anyway. It doesn't matter to me if they're a bit jagged as no one sees them. A little sanding takes care of any rough edges.

My corded Dewalt DW246 has a max 600RPM. It's geared for torque, not high speed. It works great for heavy duty operations like large auger bits or mixing mortar. It has incredible torque for such a small package. If I don't brace the support handle against a stud when drilling a large 2-1/4" hole it can cause some serious injury when the bit hits a knot. I bruised my leg a few times before I figured that one out. :)
On 4/15/2016 9:25 AM, HerHusband wrote:

the issue with cordless drill is with the battery. you have to keep it charged up.
--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me

Lithium batteries will hold their charge a long time. You shouldn't need to charge it more than once or twice a year.
You can also keep extra batteries on hand.
Of course, in theory, you would be using the drill for other tasks on a regular basis so it wouldn't just be sitting around draining the battery.
On 4/13/2016 8:46 AM, dilbert firestorm wrote:

this might be moot.
I just remembered that my truck has a scissors jack with a built in handle. I don't know if that can be removed to use the power drill.
--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me
On Saturday, April 16, 2016 at 7:31:22 AM UTC-4, dilbert firestorm wrote:

Anything can be removed.