power invertor

So I'm still underestimating. It seems like it uses far less than a

1000 watt electric heater. Like 1/10 of that. But I accept that I'm wrong.
Reply to
Micky

Where do you live? I"ve never seen a UPS of any size in a Goodwill. I think there are still too many people who don't have one for people not to have a friend who can use their old one, if it works.

But maybe where you are that's not true.

Reply to
Micky

The description is prettty funny. Twice it refers to adding air to the tire, "If you need to add air to your tires, just plug it into the cigarette lighter outlet" and "the Black Bull Electric Car Jack will air up your tires quickly and effortlessly.", but it says nothing about having a pump. And if I wanted a pump, I'd buy one separately. In fact, I did! And I would never jack up the car to add air to the tire.

It also calls it fully automatic, but it's only electric. If it were automatic you'd just place it under the car and it would go up automatically and stop when it was supposed to. That would be a lot more expensive.

Also says "It is lightweight and doesn?t weigh a ton, so it?s super easy to transport in and out of the trunk of the car. Packaged inside a compact and sturdy plastic case, it weighs only 11 pounds total and stores safely and easily until you need it most. That?s a convenience that teens, seniors, or folks with mobility impairments will appreciate." Why do teens need something light that stores easily and safely, any more than anyone does? Do they mean girls but they'r e afraid to say it?

Also, "No need to work up a sweat jacking a car up by hand". I have worked up a sweat with a GM bumper jack, but scissors jacks go so slow you can 't work up a sweat.

Despite all this, it seems like a good idea if a manual jack is hard for you.

And finally, it plugs into the cigarette lighter, but it doesn't say how many amps it uses so we can't judge if the fuse will blow. It's a motor, so it uses a lot on startup, I learned tonight. And with a jack, you'll be stopping and starting several times on the way up.

This one could be a problem.

Reply to
Micky

Well, there goes another good idea out the window. I wish someone made a 12 volt jack, with long enough cord to reach the far corners of the vehicle. It probably can be made, but out of the price range of most peoples needs. Why spend a pile of money on a jack when you can get AAA and have some one else change the flat tire?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I remember about the same, with my four day power cut. The first day was adventure, the second was more cold. Third day was miserable.

Hot showers help a lot, to warm me up. Also going some place in the car lets the vehicle heater warm me up. When I finally releted and wired my generator into the furnace, that was the best of all.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think it's a seriously good idea to have some propane on hand. Can't rely on being able to get to the store. Or that the store will have any propane when you get there.

Yes, I've used propane heaters. They do a good job. Even the smaller version that runs on a one pound bottle does some good. I have a small heater in the back of my van, which I use when working in the van. 3,500 BTU an hour does help considerably.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The cold can make you miserable. I think it's worth a small risk of monoxide. The big risk is for smokers whose systems are already loaded with monoxide from the smoke.

I think the low oxygen sensor works for both people and the flame.

Please test the unit on the 20 pounder. I suspect you will need an adaptor or an adaptor hose. Better to know that NOW, rather than during the next ice storm when you're freezing cold.

Propane provided in 20# tanks is about half the price of buying one pounders.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If memory serves, a pound of propane delivers

21,500 BTU.

In the years I installed furnaces, the smallest I can remember was probably 60,000 BTU per hour.

My three bedroom mobile home came with 80,000 and I replaced it with a 70,000 BTU per hour furnace. Heats fine. Recovers from cold rapidly.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Please define a "pile of money". Is $60 - $80 a pile of money? (might be to some, not to others) This is just one of many options available.

Some come with cables, some don't. Check the specs before buying a cable.

I don't know if the accessory port can handle the draw, so once again, check the specs on both the vehicle and the jack. I saw one with the standard accessory port plug, but the description did not include the power requirements. I don't know if it will work in a "modern" accessory port, often rated at just 10 Amps.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ah, monoxide. A vastly under recognized cause of mental confusion, using a 12 volt impact wrench to provide enough BTU to warm the room. An old fashioned top loading washing machine is far superior for cleaning flat tires on your 2000 model Chevrolet. Of course, tree huggers will want to use a Ranco (R) ball rotator, to thoroughly cook a thanksgiving turkey, in the 20 watt power converter, which is running off the Harbor Freight power generator which was purchased with a 20% off coupon, and came with a free screw driver set. No, I'm not suffering from exposure to garden hose.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I can't help with the power invertor, but is there some reason you can't use a cordless drill for that? I have a 20V Dewalt drill and haven't used a corded drill in years. If the cordless drill isn't strong enough, you could use a 20V cordless impact driver.

You could buy a cordless drill for the cost of the inverter and cables, and it would be a lot more useful.

The only time I have used my corded drill in the last 15 years is to drill large 2-1/4" holes with an auger bit for running plumbing lines. That thing has super torque that'll rip your arm off if you're not careful. :)

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

I suggested that on page one.

Reply to
bob_villain

I use my corded drill when drilling holes with my Kreg Pocket Hole jig. Kreg recommends the highest speed possible for cleaner holes and a cooler bit. Greater than 2K is preferred and many cordless drills don't go that high.

I definitely get cleaner holes with my 2.8K max speed corded drill than either of my cordless drills. (Using the vacuum attachment on the jig helps a lot also)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Oh, wow. What a pile of money.

That's a real pile of money, for sure.

. Christ>>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have no clue what your (top-post) was supposed to mean.

First you said: "I wish someone made a 12 volt jack..." so I pointed out that they do. Nothing mean intended, just some info for you.

You also said: "Why spend a pile of money on a jack..." so I *asked* if $60-$80 was what you defined as a "pile of money" in this case. "A pile of money" has no defined value and it's meaning can vary between individuals and/or situations, so I am curious as to what you meant by that.

Why the sarcastic response?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Says right on the jack - maximum current 18 amps. MOST cars fuse the "accessory port" at 20 amps. so it SHOULD work - I wouldn't use it on a truck - max load is 2000 lbs so if you only lift one wheel an inch or two to change tires it could theoretically work on a 7000 lb vehicle if weight distribution was close (8000 if it was perfect)

Reply to
clare

Why else? He's the stormin' Moron.

Reply to
clare

You need to do a bit of studying on electrical theory Micky. Then you would be able to answer some of your real simple off-the-wall questions yourself. Start with ohm's law and the relationship between volts, amps and watts.

With those 2 concepts nained down, you can ask more intelligent questions, and understand the answers. (even before you ask the questions)

Reply to
clare

Up here in Ontario Canada you see the odd one at thrift stores - but virtually nothing over 500va -

Reply to
clare

If you pop the picture of the jack up and zoom in it says right on it " maximum current 18 amps".

I'll agree nothing much in the Chinglish documentation makes much sense - but that goes along with what I daid about documentation and Chinese product (whether sold from China or the USA or Canada) - and mabee take that 18 amps with a few grains of salt as well - - -

Reply to
clare