power invertor

Page 5 of 8
On 04/15/2016 07:45 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[snip]

Yes, I'm remembering a power outage during an ice storm. That hot shower felt really good. It'd good to have a gas water heater.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 4/15/2016 4:30 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I'm fortunate to have gas stove, and gas water heater. Those were both totally appreciated during the winter power cut.
After the four day power cut, I bought a marine battery and power inverter. Figured I could have an hour of furnace before bed time. Quietly, would not alert the neighbors "hey! fatty has a generator!". Turns out the generator did not have enough starting current to run the blower wheel. I did try spin it by hand to get it going. Still no joy. The replacement furnace has a circuit board. I don't want to risk that to modified sine power supply.
I did call the company that makes the furnace, to ask if it would run on mod sine. They suggested I check with the parts house where I bought it. The "would you like fries with that" people are not likely to know the technical details of the circuit board.
Also likely the DC power wires to the battery were under sized.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

That 80K BTU furnace will in all likelihood have a 1/2HP induction motor for the blower and draws a peak of about 1400 watts for a second or more to get the blower up to speed (almost 12 amps). One reason why a furnace is required to be installed on a dedicated circuit.
That means running it draws 60+ amps from the battery - starting draws about 125 amps.
The new DC blowers draw a lot less on startup because they "soft start" - and are more efficient when they are running as well.
On 04/15/2016 10:03 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:
[snip]

My furnace (80K BTU natural gas) is on a "semi-dedicated" circuit. The only other things on that circuit are the doorbell and a CO alarm.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Which most inspectors would totally miss and a few others might just possibly allow.. Not 100% code compliant - but reasonable.
On 4/15/2016 11:03 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I did save the old blower, for use as a carpet drier. It's under some other clutter, and not worth the bother to dig it out. Half HP sounds about right, maybe 1/3. In either case, that's a lot of draw of 12 volts to get it going. Maybe if my inverter had bigger cables. Or wired in parallel with car battery.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 04/15/2016 05:06 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[snip]

That's what happened when I tried it. Gas valve opened, flame came on, everything was OK until the blower started. Inverter showed overload immediately. That was the night of the ice storm. I was in a new (for me) house, and that's when I discovered I had gas logs.
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 4/15/2016 11:15 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Meant inverter, not generator. Perhaps we can find out what we needed to do better. Well, perhaps. In my case I bought a gasoline generator.
You, gas logs. I like the gas logs. Less dragging them out doors and pouring gasoline into them.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Mabee a bit of CO would be an improvement??
On 4/14/2016 10:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Ah, monoxide. A vastly under recognized cause of mental confusion, using a 12 volt impact wrench to provide enough BTU to warm the room. An old fashioned top loading washing machine is far superior for cleaning flat tires on your 2000 model Chevrolet. Of course, tree huggers will want to use a Ranco (R) ball rotator, to thoroughly cook a thanksgiving turkey, in the 20 watt power converter, which is running off the Harbor Freight power generator which was purchased with a 20% off coupon, and came with a free screw driver set. No, I'm not suffering from exposure to garden hose.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 04/14/2016 03:58 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[snip]

I used my generator when power was out for several days after the tornado in May 2015. In that case, it was hot so I used a window air conditioner on it. Of course it wouldn't cool the whole house, but I could go in the kitchen to cool off.
There was another time I needed the furnace. When I bought this house, the furnace had a cord and plug. When I had it replaced 3 years ago, the new one was connected with a cord and plug. It would be easy to use that on a generator.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 4/15/2016 4:03 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I bet a lot of people in the south would LOVE to have a window AC and generator.
Furnace on a cord and plug is excellent idea. I've heard the National Electric Code calls for hard wired. Not sure why, the cord and plug is great for power cuts and generators.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 8:04:36 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I believe we covered this topic last year or 2 years ago...you probably posted to it. But how would you know?
On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 9:32:00 PM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/jluvgau
On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 19:42:20 -0700 (PDT), bob_villain

As far as the question of how the reliance power-back works - I can confirm it is a VOLTAGE semsor, not a current sensor, and it works just fine with an interlock.
Sinse that discussion I have replaced my fuse panel with a breaker pannel with an interlock and power-back. I can now connect my new 7200 watt tri-fuel genset to the house and run anything I need.. On gasoline or propane I can get 7200 watts - on Natural Gas I get 5000 max.
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------010308020203050600090901 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
On 4/13/2016 10:35 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

that's a good tip to know.
--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 09:59:45 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Easy enoiugh to figure out. What is the peak power draw on a half inch low speed drill? My Makita is rated at 6.3 amps - so 750 watts. Being a universal brush type motor it MIGHT draw1500 watts starting into a load. I'd say a 2500 watt inverter would work just fine. Might get away with a 1750
About the same as would be required to run a coleman furnace in a trailer.

YOu may just want to look for a 12 volt impact driver.
On 4/13/2016 9:18 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I have one, it does not work that well on scissors jack. Lug nuts, yes.
--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 19:56:44 -0500, dilbert firestorm

I bought one, tried it once and returned it. Nowhere nEAR what I nhave grown accustomed to with an air impact. . .