power invertor

Page 2 of 8
On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 10:46:10 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

same. The PT cruiser manual says the same.. My daughter's 2001 Civic has a 15 amp fuse for the "power outlet". Other daughter's 2014 Elantra has 15 amp "power outlet". 2014 F150 "cig lignter" 20 amp. 2012 Ram 2500 diesel - power outlet and cig lighter SHARE 20 amp fuse. 2005 Chevy Silvarado, GMC Sierra and Chevy Suburban, Tahoe etc - 20 amp fuse for Aux Power outlet. 2014 Sonata - 20 amp for Cig Lighter.
Just for quick starters.
On 4/13/2016 6:46 AM, dilbert firestorm wrote:

It would help if you knew the sort of load involved. Motors tend to be poorly behaved loads.
On 4/13/2016 9:52 AM, Don Y wrote:

Watt?
On 4/13/2016 8:52 AM, Don Y wrote:

run/power a corded power drill. I've yet to get a corded power drill.
--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me
On 4/13/2016 9:46 AM, dilbert firestorm wrote:

I bid on two inverters on Ebay. Some how, I had two winning bids. Both 750 watt. One Husky, and one Vector. They looked identical, except for the brand. This was my old furnace, which got replaced in 2004. The plan was to use a marine battery to power the furnace for an hour or so, if the power was out. Find out that the inverter didn't have enough power to run the blower fan on the furnace. Makes me wonder what size of inverter and drill would run a scissor jack?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I bought some tiny inverter because it was cheap, and took it out to the edge of the woods to run an electric drill. How much could a small drill use, I thought. The inverter was nowhere near big enough. I was going to drill a hole in the pine-cone shaped post cap of a chain link fence. When the drill didnt' work, I touched it and realized it would come right off with no effort. So I took it home and drilled the hole.
On 4/13/2016 11:35 AM, Micky wrote:

Since that time, I think I've found out that the 12 volt DC wires they supply are under sized. One other friend had similar problem, using under size DC wires. I wonder if you had under sized DC wires?
If you have VOM and a clamp on ammeter for AC, perhaps you can do some tests, and we can all learn.
I'd do a test on my new furnace, but don't want to risk frying a circuit board on modified sine power.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Well the rating on the converter was far less than that simple drill required. I had underestimated what the drill needed.

On 4/13/2016 6:11 PM, Micky wrote:

Motors can be rough on invertes. Big start up current. What was the rating of the inverter, and of the drill?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

They're in the basement somewhere. 20watts for the inverter and 80 watts for the drill maybe. What does a standard 3/8" drill require?
On 4/14/2016 2:15 PM, Micky wrote:

Name      3/8 in. Variable Speed Reversible Drill SKU      60614 Brand      Drill Master Amperage (amps)     3.2 Maximum speed (rpm)     3000 RPM Chuck size (in.)     3/8 in. Product Height      7 in.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

See, I underestimated again.
So maybe the converter was 50 watts and the drill 350.

This one wouldn't have worked anyhow. The post was about 6' tall.
On 4/14/2016 8:16 PM, Micky wrote:

Yet another learning moment for the list. You got the job done, and learned a lot. I'm all for that.
You sure do need a 7 foot tall drill.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 16:55:17 -0400, Stormin Mormon

So about 385 watts running
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 14:15:53 -0400, Micky

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 21:55:20 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

So I'm still underestimating. It seems like it uses far less than a 1000 watt electric heater. Like 1/10 of that. But I accept that I'm wrong.
On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 00:22:20 -0400, Micky

you would be able to answer some of your real simple off-the-wall questions yourself. Start with ohm's law and the relationship between volts, amps and watts.
With those 2 concepts nained down, you can ask more intelligent questions, and understand the answers. (even before you ask the questions)
On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 13:22:07 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'll work on that.
On 04/14/2016 01:15 PM, Micky wrote:
[snip]

Mine requires 5A (600W).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

There's always more than one way to pare a possum!
--
Bobby G.