power invertor

anyone recommend a good power invertor?

just looking for something to power a corded power drill from a truck to use as a sort of a power jack on the scissors jack.

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

Not sure about the inverters. I have little experience with those.

As to the scissors jack, you may need to use an impact driver, as scissor jack needs a lot of torque.

I wonder if 12 volt DC jacks are made? I've not seen one. Guess I'm full of non-answers today? Or maybe not?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It would help if you knew the sort of load involved. Motors tend to be poorly behaved loads.

Reply to
Don Y

I bid on two inverters on Ebay. Some how, I had two winning bids. Both 750 watt. One Husky, and one Vector. They looked identical, except for the brand. This was my old furnace, which got replaced in 2004. The plan was to use a marine battery to power the furnace for an hour or so, if the power was out. Find out that the inverter didn't have enough power to run the blower fan on the furnace. Makes me wonder what size of inverter and drill would run a scissor jack?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Watt?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

YOu may just want to look for a 12 volt impact driver.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

These guys do cars (not trucks) with cordless drills. Seems like no trouble at all for the drill. Not sure how big your truck is...

If you really want to use a corded drill you would need to know how much power the drill will draw and then match the inverter to that.

You'll also need to know how you are going to attach the invert to the truck. Most accessory plugs these days can't able handle the loads they used to. It seems like most inverter manufacturers have taken this into account and no longer offer "accessory plugs" on anything other than their smallest models. Anything of decent size has to be connected directly to the battery or to wires from the battery that are of substantial gauge.

I'm not recommending HF inverters, but this page shows what I mean. Anything above 80 watts continuous either comes with clip leads or no leads at all, meaning that you have to come up with your own connection scheme.

I just bought this one, but it is only used to power the Fast Charger for my smartphone, which requires AC. (USB only charges at the slow rate)

DerbyDad03

bob_villain

I bought some tiny inverter because it was cheap, and took it out to the edge of the woods to run an electric drill. How much could a small drill use, I thought. The inverter was nowhere near big enough. I was going to drill a hole in the pine-cone shaped post cap of a chain link fence. When the drill didnt' work, I touched it and realized it would come right off with no effort. So I took it home and drilled the hole.

Reply to
Micky

That stinks. They can't spend a tiny bit of money on a thicker wire?

And I was going to take up cigars.

My 2000 Toyota has pretty much nothing but thin wires, while the 95 Chrysler and everything before it had much heavier wires everywhere. Have American cars degenerated too? Or is it just Toyota and maybe Japanese?

Reply to
Micky

Since that time, I think I've found out that the

12 volt DC wires they supply are under sized. One other friend had similar problem, using under size DC wires. I wonder if you had under sized DC wires?

If you have VOM and a clamp on ammeter for AC, perhaps you can do some tests, and we can all learn.

I'd do a test on my new furnace, but don't want to risk frying a circuit board on modified sine power.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

To what end? How many people actually need more power than the modern accessory sockets provide?

Oh, BTW, do you think that they would just give away that "tiny bit of money"? No, they would raise the price of the vehicle. I don't need to pay more for my vehicles just because you plan on (stinking up your's by) taking up cigars.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Posted inline, as your comment also was.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

anyone recommend a good power invertor? just looking for something to power a corded power drill from a truck to use as a sort of a power jack on the scissors jack.

-- Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me

I believe that scissors jack operate on screw from the side, as some one said inverter size depend on your load. However guessing drill size what you need is low speed ½? industrial type, impact drill is ?no no? otherwise not only that it will not work right but it might damage the screw on the Jack. Inverter should be 750-1000 watts ?Continues? operation not intermittent, but everybody have their own opinion.

Reply to
Tony944

Are you bragging that you've finally *come close* to posting correcting?

I say *come close* because I did not post my response the middle of a paragraph like you did. I posted in the appropriate section, on a line by itself.

You'll figure it out, eventually. Feel free to brag when you do.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You are talking *at* someone that top-posted, literally, for years!

Reply to
bob_villain

...in my opinion...this is the way to go:

bob_villain

Oh, I know...

I guess he just has to toot his own horn as he slowly but surely makes the move towards what is normal for most of us.

It's kind of like the toddler that is proud of the poop he managed to get into the toilet. "Mommy! Mommy! Look what I did!"

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Is that a piece of Romex hanging from the ceiling? I wonder if it's live.

I'll bet it is.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Easy enoiugh to figure out. What is the peak power draw on a half inch low speed drill? My Makita is rated at 6.3 amps - so 750 watts. Being a universal brush type motor it MIGHT draw1500 watts starting into a load. I'd say a 2500 watt inverter would work just fine. Might get away with a 1750

About the same as would be required to run a coleman furnace in a trailer.

Reply to
clare