power invertor

Page 1 of 8
anyone recommend a good power invertor?
just looking for something to power a corded power drill from a truck to use as a sort of a power jack on the scissors jack.
--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me
On 4/13/2016 9:46 AM, dilbert firestorm wrote:

Not sure about the inverters. I have little experience with those.
As to the scissors jack, you may need to use an impact driver, as scissor jack needs a lot of torque.
I wonder if 12 volt DC jacks are made? I've not seen one. Guess I'm full of non-answers today? Or maybe not?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 4/13/2016 8:51 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I have a impact driver with a cigarette lighter port. It works very well getting the lug nuts off the wheel. But not so much for scissors jack. I experimentally with it to see how well it works. it works sort of but not very effectively... too slow.
--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me
On 4/14/2016 8:47 PM, dilbert firestorm wrote:

Well, there goes another good idea out the window. I wish someone made a 12 volt jack, with long enough cord to reach the far corners of the vehicle. It probably can be made, but out of the price range of most peoples needs. Why spend a pile of money on a jack when you can get AAA and have some one else change the flat tire?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 8:39:23 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Please define a "pile of money". Is $60 - $80 a pile of money? (might be to some, not to others) This is just one of many options available.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Some come with cables, some don't. Check the specs before buying a cable.
I don't know if the accessory port can handle the draw, so once again, check the specs on both the vehicle and the jack. I saw one with the standard accessory port plug, but the description did not include the power requirements. I don't know if it will work in a "modern" accessory port, often rated at just 10 Amps.
Oh, wow. What a pile of money.
That's a real pile of money, for sure.
. Christopher A. Young learn more about Jesus . www.lds.org . . On 4/15/2016 9:23 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 12:45:23 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I have no clue what your (top-post) was supposed to mean.
First you said: "I wish someone made a 12 volt jack..." so I pointed out that they do. Nothing mean intended, just some info for you.
You also said: "Why spend a pile of money on a jack..." so I *asked* if $60-$80 was what you defined as a "pile of money" in this case. "A pile of money" has no defined value and it's meaning can vary between individuals and/or situations, so I am curious as to what you meant by that.
Why the sarcastic response?
On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 09:58:15 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Why else? He's the stormin' Moron.
Why label me as sarcastic? Is that what you desire?
- . Christopher A. Young learn more about Jesus . www.lds.org . . On 4/15/2016 12:58 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 1:40:18 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Why have you gone back to non-conventional top-posting after recently complaining about very-conventional in-line posting?
Why won't you answer my simple question about what you meant by your "pile of money" response?
Why don't I think I'm going to get a direct answer to any of my questions?

I can't help but wonder "why" a person needs an electric jack? I've only used my car jack one or two times in the last 30+ years. If I have a flat on the side of the road, it's bad enough to pull out the jack and the spare tire. Having to hook up an electrical cable and hope the motor works is one less hassle I can do without. It's not that hard to hand crank a car jack for the few times it's needed.
For working in the garage, a standard floor jack is much safer and faster.
On 4/16/2016 12:09 AM, HerHusband wrote:

its a matter of convenience for me.
besides, I bust a few tires every 2 or 3 years.
--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me

Having to string a cable to a lighter and plug it in, seems a lot less convenient than just cranking a hand crank. Whatever works for you though.

Every 2 to 3 years? Wow, you either buy really cheap tires, or you have some bad road conditions.
I had one flat several years ago when I drove over a nail without knowing it. The nail punctured the tire, and a few blocks later it was flat.
I also had a tire blow out on my utility trailer several years ago. They're not the greatest tires to start with, and they tend to dry out and get brittle just sitting around unused.
Those are the only two times I can think of that I've needed to use a jack on the side of the road.
I did have one of those hand crank jacks blow apart here at home. I don't remember why I was jacking up the car, but when I got the car jacked up the bearing in the jack blew apart. The bearing went flying across the yard and the car came crashing to the ground. Scary, but thankfully I wasn't hurt and there was no damage to the vehicle. I'm a lot more cautious with car jacks now. :)
On Saturday, April 16, 2016 at 12:09:07 PM UTC-4, HerHusband wrote:

Back quite a few years ago (70's) my brother kept hearing a tick-tick-tick as he was driving. When he got home he checked his tires and saw the head of hex-head bolt embedded in the tread. He swapped on the spare and took the fully inflated tire over to a local repair shop.
The mechanic grabbed the head of the bolt with a big pair of pliers and started pulling it out...and out...and out...Holy Crap! he said...and out.
6" later he proudly held up a 3/8" hex head bolt. My brother somehow hit it at the exact angle required to drive the blunt end of the bolt straight through the tire, where it seated itself in such a way that the tire sealed right around it. Six inches! I have no clue how you hit a 6" bolt while driving and not send it flying in one direction or another.
He kept it in his glove compartment for a few years just to show people.
On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 16:30:10 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

That's better than a 3/4" combination wrench. With that one the tire went flat real fast!!!
On Saturday, April 16, 2016 at 9:22:11 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Can you say "jagged". That must have required a weirdly shaped plug! ;-)
On 4/16/2016 6:30 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

6"? wow!
--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me
On 04/15/2016 11:09 PM, HerHusband wrote:

Most American's are so fat I doubt they could bend over far enough to change a tire.
Most would just have a pizza delivered to their car and pay the delivery guy $50 to change the tire.
On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 06:23:33 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Says right on the jack - maximum current 18 amps. MOST cars fuse the "accessory port" at 20 amps. so it SHOULD work - I wouldn't use it on a truck - max load is 2000 lbs so if you only lift one wheel an inch or two to change tires it could theoretically work on a 7000 lb vehicle if weight distribution was close (8000 if it was perfect)
On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 1:17:16 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Doh! I didn't look at the label.

Are you sure it's "most"? (just asking, not arguing)
I have 4 vehicles. The 3 Honda's are all fused at 15 and the manuals spec the ports at 10. I'm not sure about the Ford, it's away at school getting a Master's degree.
So, in my world, "most" (if not all) of my vehicles are fused at 15, not 20. That's why I ask.