Power Grid Freq Variations To Be Allowed

Page 1 of 4
I smell issues arising with this...
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5giHrMC9wYlOzOkUg9wNC2jV Kugkw?docId71623ab59694aef9f0a02fe83faca8a
Erik

I have one issue already. The linked article comes up as unavailable.
On 6/25/11 7:11 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

A short article here: > http://tinyurl.com/5vk4lc4
Does it really take that much effort to synchronize the grid's frequency?

I have no idea, but according to the articles, yes.
I know that a clock motor will be affected as you change from 60 cycles, but digital? I thought they had something to do with a crystal frequency oscillation. Or is that just watches?
"But wall clocks and those on ovens and coffeemakers - anything that flashes "12:00" when it loses power - may be just a bit off every second, and that error can grow with time."
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Most anything that "flashes 12:00" is going to be using a crystal timebase and not care about power line frequency. They flash 12:00 since when they loose power they need to have the time set again, not anything to do with line frequency.
There are still a great many timing devices that rely on synchronus motors and thus line frequency, and these mostly have just dials, such as timers for sign and landscape lighting, water softener regeneration, water heater timers and the like.
harry wrote:

There are a LOT of things that depend on 60Hz. Since forever 60Hz has been a standard piped into every establishment in the country. The article mentioned traffic lights, security systems, and computers, but thousands of other devices depend on a stable line frequency.
To let the frequency meander all over the place would be similar to letting the National Bureau of Standards allowing the official meter to vary by one or two millimeters per day.
On the other hand, this change will open a new business opportunity to provide standard frequency power.
On 6/25/2011 4:29 PM, HeyBub wrote:

On any long-haul telecom circuit, like the ones the Internet runs on, somewhere in the path for that circuit, is a rack in a basement somewhere with a cesium clock. All the other racks that particular circuit runs through, from point A to point Z, anywhere in the world, have to be told to take that clock's word as gospel. When they screw up, and have 2 different clocks in the path, sometimes it can get amusing if they get out of synch.
--
aem sends...

Old saying: A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never quite sure.
harry wrote:

Well, my turntable does... :(
On 6/26/11 7:25 AM, dpb wrote:

I wonder how many people under 30 know what a turntable is. Spinning records? Etc. I was wandering around a museum a few years ago. Some teenagers were there on a school tour. One asked me what time it was. I said "It's about a quarter past eleven." That didn't register with her. She apparently had no idea what that meant. 11:15 made sense to her though.

didja ever see the Two and a Half Men episode where Jake is spotting hot chicks and calling out the time on his digital watch,not understanding the concept of a clockface as a compass direction indicator.
"hot chick at 12:05"..... when the girl is at their 9:00. 8-)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Dean Hoffman wrote:

And if you'd said: "In thirty minutes it'll be a quarter to twelve"?
<stuff snipped>

There's a big difference between the phrase "I brought my 45's to school" spoken in 1960 and 2011.
(-:
-- Bobby G.
On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 21:02:44 -0400, "Robert Green"

Then there was Russ Meyer in the '70s; forget about 38s, how 'bout her 44s?
wrote in message news:iu79g2$oa7

were
though.
44s?
And they were REAL 44's, not silicone. He did have an eye for the ladies.
-- Bobby G.
On 6/26/2011 7:42 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

About 10 years ago, I was at a bowling alley when a little kid about 8-9 years old came up to the counter and asked the clerk if he could use the phone to call home. The clerk reached under the counter, pulled out an old Western Electric rotary dial desk phone and the kid was completely dumbfounded. The kid had no idea how to operate the old telephone. ^_^
TDD
On 6/26/2011 19:56, The Daring Dufas wrote:

It's gone one step further now with kids and wired phones. Many kids are unfamiliar with aspects of basic wired phones that we take for granted such as taking the receiver off the hook before keying the dialed digits, and placing the receiver back on the hook to end the call. Where's the OFF button?
On 6/26/2011 10:23 PM, Bob wrote:

Their kids are going to have tooth implant cellphones and I'm sure one of today's cellphones will be just as archaic to them. ^_^
TDD
On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 22:32:54 -0500, The Daring Dufas

It took me a lot longer to figure out how to use a cell phone than it did a rotary phone.
On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 22:32:54 -0500, The Daring Dufas
[snip]

or like the "cerebrum communicator" in "The Presidents Any list"?

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us