Power Generator Question

I have a WEN Power Pro Model 9000 16HP generator. It has a female funny-looking plug on the side labelled DC 12V 8.3A

I have never known what this plug is for, nor can I find any info on it in the manual or via Google. Some has said it is for charging the generator batery. Could it be so?

If so, what wud the necessary plug/wire thingee be called so's I can order same. I never saw one in the original box - now long gone.

Thanks

Wei

Reply to
WeiLienShih

When I tried to buy one of those 12v battery charger cords it was more money than a small battery charger.

Maybe you can get a cheap cord on ebay?

Reply to
Gomez

It's likely a 12V 8.3A output that can be used for whatever you might need

12V for, eg a small air compressor that's meant to run off a car.

It's not to charge the battery of the generator, the generator charges it's battery with it's own charging circuit.

No way for us to identify the plug without being able to see it. Did you check the users manual?

Reply to
trader_4

The manual I saw on line said it is NOT to be used to charge a battery. But that is ALL it said.

Notice it says 12 V, not 12.6 V.

Reply to
Pico Rico

Hi, Not only generator battery, a 12V DC source when you need one. Most small gen sets have 12V DC output.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yes, it does say that. But battery charging is about all it is good for! The circuit on page 30 shows an AC winding connected to a bridge rectifier, which provides 120 Hz DC pulses to the outlet.

I think the statement on Page 19 may be a typo or mis-translation. Other similar generators have 12 Volt outlets specifically for charging automotive batteries. The "DC plug with wires" shown on page 5, has battery clamps.

The 12 Volt outlet may look like a 120 VAC outlet with prongs bent at an angle to each other. That is what is on my Generac and Yamaha generators. The plug is the same for the two, but DC polarity is backwards.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

The manual says that the connection in question is a 12V 8.3A power _output_. As stupid as it seems it then goes on to tell us that it "is not intended for use to charge automotive batteries." The cable for this connector is supposed to be included with the generator, or so the packing list says, and it has conductors with alligator clips on the end so the "no batteries" stuff seems to make even less sense since alligator clips aren't exactly conducive to other uses.

BenignBodger

You must be right - bad translation. I looked at some other generators and they say use their 12v ONLY to charge batteries.

Reply to
Pico Rico

I have a strange plug on my ETQ brand generator. Mine is for charging a car battery if needed. My wire and clips came in a plastic pouch with a snap. "twelve volt charging cable" sounds good.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The .pdf of the manual is not very clear, but going by the schematic and your description, it could be an Australia/NZ 240V house-current socket

-- except that they are all 3-pin.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

If it's to be able to charge batteries, then it would have to be significantly higher than 12V. An auto battery is about 25% charged at 12V, fully charged at 12.7, and chargers typically use 13.5 - 14V to do the charging. Which it may be, it might just be labeled and spec'd incorrectly. If it's really 12V, it's not going to work to charge an auto type battery. But it's definitely not to charge the battery for the generator itself as the OP suggested. That's already taken care of by the generator.

Reply to
trader_4

It's not as stupid as it might sound. To charge an auto battery, you need more than 12V. If all you have is really 12V, the battery will be about 25% charged.

The cable for this

I agree, that would seem to suggest that battery charging was in mind. In which case, maybe it really puts out the higher voltage required to charge the batteries, not 12V.

Reply to
trader_4

Don't remember that the OP put a VOM on it, so we're just going by some company that labels the socket.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes

Shows a picture of the plug and the info on it that I quoted. Manual is at

Thanks

Wei

Reply to
WeiLienShih

Thanks

I did not say 12.5V did I?

Wei

Reply to
WeiLienShih

No I did not. Can't find my damned meter. But I will.

Wei

Reply to
WeiLienShih

I'd be curious to know what you find out. It could be useful to have a battery charger built in.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No you didn't. I think Pico's point about 12.6V is it takes that or higher to charge an auto battery. If you really have 12V, you can only get to maybe 40% of fully charged and even that is going to take a long time. Chargers use voltages higher that 12V. Your car for example, charges the battery at ~13.5 to 14 volts. It's possible it puts out more than

12V, but if so they did a bad job with the marking and documentation, because it doesn't say anything. And I agree with the poster that pointed out that it only has a full wave rectifier, no caps, no voltage control, nothing on the output.
Reply to
trader_4

here is the cable:

I verified with Sears on line chat your model number and "Yes, I have checked with my resources and see that the model specific part number for the DC cable is P55302 which is priced at $3.99"

Reply to
Pico Rico

WAIT! Not trusting anyone, I checked back with Sears. That link above is for a replacement socket in the generator, not what you want.

After much back and forth, I think THIS is what you want:

I am told it is a generic part: generators use for the 12V (or 12.6V) output either the same two pin socket, or a cigarette lighter plug.

You might want to shop around, and verify the above with another vendor just to be sure.

Reply to
Pico Rico