Power/Force of hydraulic cylinder???

Well, all of the above... :)

The poster who started this subthread to which I was responding noted that altho had sizable cylinder on a tractor loader that didn't have anything close to the lift force that one might expect simply from the bore/pressure of the cylinder and the responder directly ahead mentioned only the weight of the loader itself as a confounding factor...

A typical small/medium tractor loader is generally a very simple mechanism a la the one shown at the link below--

While there are complex mechanisms found on either very large and/or expensive loaders and/or the compact loaders such as the Bobcat and ilk, a basic loader of the above type doesn't have mechanical advantage--the upward component at the bottom is fairly small and the relatively long moment arm beyond the lift point (necessary to get reasonable lift height, etc.) requires quite a bit to counteract.

I was simply trying to be concise at, perhaps, the cost of some clarity in pointing out that mechanics are a part as well as weight and cylinder force...as per usual on usenet, the opportunity to seek advantage and display perceived intellectual prowess at expense of others is, apparently, irresistible force for some. :(

--

Reply to
dpb

dpb wrote: ...

OK, I went and dug up the operator's manual off the JD148 that's on the

4440 as the loader tractor here...

It's hydraulics are 2250 psi, lift cylinders are 2.5" bore/1.75" rod -- from which one can estimate max lift force at the lift pin of sotoo

11000 lbf. The published breakout lift force is "only" 4700 lbf in comparison. It'll handle 2000-lb round bales two-high loading semi's easily, however as far as the weight; wish the reach were about 6" more, though, as one has to be sure to have the fork as near the bottom as possible and if they're just a little loosely wrapped they can rotate some so maneuvering can sometimes slow one down loading. When there are nearly a thousand to go; any time wasted, even a few seconds/bale, is sorely trying to the soul... :(

I'll try to post somewhere a picture from last summer's haying altho don't think I stopped to take pictures while actually loading out; had my hands full of controls at that point... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

What this means is that the splitter should function well with the skid steer at or near idle speed.

Reply to
Pete C.

dpb wrote: ...

OK, just for grins on a cold, damp day...

I went out and measured the hinge point distances and the overall length of the moment arm to the end of the lift arms (accounting for the angle, measuring to the extended straight line from the fixed pin thru the upper cylinder lifting point).

When down at ground level, the pertinent dimensions and angles are --

Well, let's see if I can do enough ASCII art to get a picture as crude as it will be for referencing to...

Arm pin (A) Cylinder Pin (U) X --------------X--------O End actuator attach pin (E) | | --X Lower cylinder pin (L)

The (nearly) closed cylinder length at ground level (L-U) is 42"

Solving the small right triangle to the left of L we find the angle from the horizontal to the line A-L is 75.5deg. Using the law of cosines the angle ALE is 96.4. The cylinder lift angle is the complement of these two or 180-(75.5+96.4) = 8.1deg.

The vertical component at U is then 11000*sin(8.1) ==> 1550 lb

Balancing the moment I got that the lift at U was 2200 lb, within 10% of the 2350-lb breakaway spec (remember this is looking at only the one cylinder).

FWIW (which ain't a lot, but it was cold, damp and blustery enough yesterday I didn't try to do much outside).

Unfortunately, the photo bucket site didn't let me log on yesterday and I couldn't get a flickr acc't to go thru either so gave up on the posting of the pictures for the moment...

Reply to
dpb

RBM wrote: ...

Chuckle...mine, too!!! :)

The earlier question got me wondering about what was the vertical component in actual fact -- I was surprised to realize the lift cylinders are only 8 degrees above horizontal when the bucket is on the ground.

If it hadn't been such an ugly day out I'm sure I wouldn't have actually done it...

Reply to
dpb

... the angle ALU is 96.4. ...

... the lift at _E_ ...

Coupla' typos noted above and here are a coupla' pictures took while "gathering up" in preparation of loadout. First is just shot of bales as rolled; second shows a couple of piles. Each group is a stack of 34, what'll go on a flatbed so can load at one time instead of having to go gather up while loading. The last is the home place; can just barely see the house thru the cedars/and two largest elms...a little white siding shows through.

--

Reply to
dpb

Reply to
RBM

:)

Located far SW KS, just about 50 mi from CO right on OK line.

It is pretty country when it rains; we'd had a nice one in late August and another in early in Sept about two weeks before those were taken so stuff had had time to green up nicely after swathing. I hadn't realized the date wasn't set on the camera and intended to reset it but forgot about it. Those were taken about 10 Sept last fall.

Unfortunately, that was also about the last moisture we've had since; it's serious dry at the moment. The winter wheat is in poor shape where got it in and up at all.

We've missed out on all the snows except for just a couple that gave us only a dusting to a short inch each; all the actual moisture has been north/east or south. That's a fairly typical problem out here particularly in the La Nina pattern that tends to form a ridge of high pressure over the western High Plains that pushes the jet stream/storm track around to the east/north.

--

Reply to
dpb