Power consumption: new Dustbuster

Just got a new B&D Dustbuster 9.6v (CHV0600). $26 at Kmart.

If I leave it on the charger-cradle, it'll waste current just warming the niCad or somesuch? How much?

Could use some help with the arithmetic.

Power Unit: Input 120v 60hz 4.5w Output 15v 130mA

If I just left it in the cradle, what would power consumption for a full year look like? Numbers above are sufficient?

It 'pears I'm paying about 8 cent a kilowatt-hour ...

TIA, Puddin'

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim." - Bertrand Russell

Reply to
Puddin' Man

It 'pears? How does fruit relate to electricity in this context?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The ratings you quoted are MAXIMUM ratings which MIGHT be reached during the recharging of a discharged battery. Once the battery is charged the power draw will quite likely drop a fair amount.

How much will it drop?

Difficult to say exactly, you'd have to use a current meter to measure what it's drawing from the 120 volt line after the battery is charged.

But, even if it DID draw the full 4.5 watts all the time, ir would take

1000/4.5 = 222 hours to consume one KWH. That's about 9 days, so at 8 cents per KWH it'll burn up a little less that a penny a day, so call it maybe $3.25 per year worst case.

Capice?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Leaving it in the charger may shorten the life of the battery. B&Dsays it is OK, but others say overcharging is not good. Cost of new battery overshadows cost of power. Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

New battery for DustBuster, $18.00

New Dirt Devil (with batteries), $15.87 at WalMart.

Reply to
HeyBub

Hidden objextive of my query: to stimulate a little discussion and maybe determine if I should just plunk the damned thang down on a table or somesuch instead of storing it on the charger-base all the time.

Puddin'

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim." - Bertrand Russell

Reply to
Puddin' Man

"Charlie Bress" wrote in news:6LedncGbsLroAlvYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I leave my Dustbuster on the charger all the time it's not in use;the first set of NiCds lasted 10 years. There are NiCd designed specifically for trickle charge 24/7/365;DigiKey stocks them.

Letting the Dustbuster NiCds self-discharge will shorten their life far more than being left on the charger.

Reply to
Jim Yanik