Powder room exhaust fan

Can i use a Ductless fan ? Can i tie the fan into the light switch or does it need a seperate switch ? Will it pass code in Pennsylvania ?
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
On 4/2/2010 9:04 AM, desgnr wrote:

I have to think a ductless fan would be next to useless in a powder room and work just as well as those ductless pretend range hoods.
--
Peanut butter and banana on rye
glass of water
George wrote:

I call them "tinkle maskers". Some folks are embarrassed by the sound of natural body functions.
TDD
desgnr wrote:

If you really want to vent the air from bathroom. That is waste of money. Do it properly.
I only need it to pass code to sell the house
---
desgnr wrote:

IMHO, you have a bad attitude. Would you be happy if you bought a house with shoddy stuffs in it? Any how I never bought or lived in a pre-owned house.
On 4/2/2010 8:22 AM desgnr spake thus:

That would be a deceptive move on your part, in my view.
But then, who cares about the buyer once you've unloaded the place?

- a Usenet "apology"

Then call up the local building dept and ask. That's the only answer that matters. Any opinions you get here aren't going to get you very far, are they? You'd still have to call up, unless you want to wing it based on some posts here and then risk having it fail and have to redo it.
The other obvious question is did this result from a buyer's inspection? If so, you may want to consider the possible trouble down the road from a dissatisfied buyer. Even if it is code compliant, IMO it is a half-assed solution and they could still sue you, though they likely would lose. But they could also then get pissed off and combine in 6 other things that they might have ignored.
Ventless must not be very common, because I have never seen one.

"desgnr" wrote

Anyone can. They are designed to assist in eliminating odors only though.

That one will lave to go to the code specs of your area. Legal here though unusual.

Probably but not if the code just says you have to have an exaust vent in a bathroom. Here (Virginia) you can have a window or an exaust vent. Both allowed if desired. It would not be legal here to use a ductless type in one with no window when code requires a window or vent. You could however here add a ductless one to a bathroom with a window as an added 'nice' thing.
Is your bathroom not code spec because of no vent and you are looking for a solution without adding a duct? Pretty sure this will NOT get you around that. Grandfathering of an older house would be your coverage. Keep in mind that in most states, grandfathering is normal for everything if it was code-spec when built. A buyer then can always 'request' you upgrade but can't require it. Then again, they can buy another house so figure your odds.

Since a "Powder Room" contains extremely explosive gun powder, you do NOT want a standard electrical switch in that room. Standard switches emit an internal spark when they are turned on and off. That spark could ignite the powder. You must use a special switch that is made for flammable locations. The same is true for the fan. The fan motor can not emit sparks, thus motor brushes are not allowed. The motor must also be a sealed unit and must be approved for use in flammable locations. Contact a supplier that furnishes electrical apparatus for use in petroleum refineries. They should have the safety devices you need.
Does Pennsylvania allow gun powder and other explosives to be stored within city limits? If you're in a rural area, there are still likely laws specific to storing explosives. Contact your state OSHA offices for more details and the storage laws of gun powder and other explosives.
Remember: Always keep your powder dry!
J Heffron
J snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

I do believe that the most dangerous things you may find in that particular powder room will be methane and hydrogen sulfide.
TDD