Powder Coating

Has any one seen, bought or used the powder coating rig that Harbor Freight sells (on sale for $59)?? If so, what is you impression? Would it be okay for small jobs? Would it be expensive (material wise) to operate for small jobs around the house? I know nothing, absolutely zip about powder coating but like the results that I have seen. RM~

For small occasional jobs, the cost of doing powder coatings would be prohibitive.
A spray bomb and some patience will get the same results.
The main advantage of powder coating is a savings on paint costs as there is virtually no waste in overspray, fast drying time, (good for production lines) and of course environmental,....less airborne polution. But these are only realized by manufacturers who do enough "painting" to offset the costs.
If you just paint the occasional lawn chair or birdhouse every second weekend, the costs are not worth it.

Spray can paint will not even be close to as durable as powdercoat.

Don't use the 69 cent a can stuff anymore. <g>
Amun

That doesn't matter. If you want paint that is close to the durability of powdercoat you have to go to something like an automotive polyurethane type paint. But these require mixing right before spraying and are very toxic and require some sort of respirator. The stuff in spray cans is either low solids lacquer or enemel and just doesn't compare.

I'm not sure if you are serious or trolling ?
You might be surprised at what you can buy in spray cans nowadays, unless you're in some little town with a local hardware that is selling 20 year old stock. The punk grafitti artists in most places seem to have no problem finding spray paint you have to sandblast off with no preparation necessary. <g>
AMUN

Wow, I can't imagine why people pay all that money to get things powdercoated or sprayed with polyurethane paint when they can just go to Home Depot and grab a couple of cans of Rustoleum and do as good of a job.

Baffles me too. But when you find out, post back here and let us know.
AMUN

Don't you need an oven to bake it after? The pro stuff is done that way.