Poured epoxy flooring over VAT?

Hi all,

I'd like to seal some VAT (vinyl tile) in a basement using a poured epoxy floor system. I've seen some companies that do this on the web, but they all seem to require that their own contractors or employees pour the floor for you. I'd rather do it myself to spare the expense and hassle.

Are there any good DIY epoxy floor systems out there? For example, does Lowes or Home Depot, etc. sell any decent epoxy flooring or other type of material that would be good for this project?

I'd like to pour the floor and then cover it with carpet.

Any info is appreciated!

Thanks,

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
A User

You mean paint, read can label instructions on what they can be aplied on

Reply to
m Ransley

What is the reason for not putting the carpet over the tile?

Epoxy is VERY expensive

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses.

To respond to Wayne's question, the reason why I don't want to put carpet directly over the tile is that the tile is likely VAT and is already crumbling in some spots and I do not want it to be a potential hazard in the future.

So, I'm thinking the poured epoxy is a good way to go. Is there a less expensive way to seal this stuff up?

Thanks for any help!

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
A User

just use 1/8" underlayment

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

i think i've seen 5 gal buckets of 'epoxy' floor something (at floor level in paint/coatting dept) at home de pot. it probably isn't true 2 part epoxy.

no idea there...

Reply to
<sweat=]