Poulan chainsaws

Page 2 of 2
On 04/03/2013 06:04 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I didn't have to replace my air filter, as it was still in good shape, and stood up to a thorough cleaning and drying. That was made the biggest improvement on my saw, and judging from how dirty it was, I'm guessing was the reason that the previous owner sold it to me.
Some people would rather re-purchase an item than perform basic maintenance on it, which works great for me because I don't have a problem maintaining my equipment.
Jon
Mine seems to be cloth with plastic frame. I've blasted them out with carb cleaner, or ether spray. Get the sawdust and oil out. Let it dry, and put it back to work. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I didn't have to replace my air filter, as it was still in good shape, and stood up to a thorough cleaning and drying. That was made the biggest improvement on my saw, and judging from how dirty it was, I'm guessing was the reason that the previous owner sold it to me.
Some people would rather re-purchase an item than perform basic maintenance on it, which works great for me because I don't have a problem maintaining my equipment.
Jon
On 04/03/2013 12:42 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yep, that sounds like it would work. I used Dawn detergent on mine and soaked it in an agitator (AKA plastic container), rinsed it clean, then let it dry.
Jon
No fair! You got sudsy bubbles! Mine didn't. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
On 04/03/2013 12:42 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yep, that sounds like it would work. I used Dawn detergent on mine and soaked it in an agitator (AKA plastic container), rinsed it clean, then let it dry.
Jon

put

Two easy methods. A bit of gas in a can and swish the filter around - then blow it out (carefull you don't blow a hole in it though). Warm water, soap and a tootbrush.
Carb cleaner sounds a bit "harsh" for a filter.
Bottom posted to show you it CAN be done. Harry K
The carb cleaner worked, fine, for me. Sprayed through the cloth filter part. Really cleaned it out. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Two easy methods. A bit of gas in a can and swish the filter around - then blow it out (carefull you don't blow a hole in it though). Warm water, soap and a tootbrush.
Carb cleaner sounds a bit "harsh" for a filter.
Bottom posted to show you it CAN be done. Harry K
I've also had Homelites, and had trouble starting. I don't think there is any one "cure all". Avoid ethanol gasoline, if possible. I used some fuel injector cleaner in my van, that helped a lot. I should have saved an ounce to put in with my chainsaw, snowblower and generator fuel. I wonder if that would help? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I've never owned one but I am considering purchasing one from Amazon...
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
The price is right but I am concerned about the quality. Reviews seem positive but I figured I check with this newsgroup for opinions. After years of fighting with Homelite chainsaws (trying to start )its time for a different make.
Thanks, cj

for

once

WILL

he

I cut a bit more than you do running 3 stihls. My neighbor asked me to set up and teach hime how to run his new Poulan. It was all still in the factory box, never opened. I put it together and started it...and started it...and started it. It would run just fine as long as you didn't squeeze the throttle. It would instantly die then.
So, set it aside and used my saw to to what he needed done. Picked up the Poulan and found the chainbrake was now broken - a very thin, cheap piece of plastic. Told him to take it back, get his money and put another $20 with it and get a real saw.
Harry K
On Sunday, March 31, 2013 11:25:38 AM UTC-4, cj wrote:

ttp://www.amazon.com/Poulan-PP5020AV-20-Inch-Powered-Carrying/dp/B0052EL9YU The price is right but I am concerned about the quality. Reviews seem posi tive but I figured I check with this newsgroup for opinions. After years of fighting with Homelite chainsaws (trying to start )its time for a differen t make. Thanks, cj
I bought a similar Poulan as my first chain saw about 15 years ago. It work ed well and cut a lot of wood but wore out after several years. We cut five or six good sized trees for firewood each year so I think it gave very goo d service for the price. I replaced it with a larger Stihl which has given excellent service. I recommend buying the best tool you can afford.
On 03/31/2013 09:25 AM, cj wrote:

After years of fighting with Homelite chainsaws (trying to start )its time for a different make.

Don't waste your money on that big box store crap, buy a Stihl.

nions. After years of fighting with Homelite chainsaws (trying to start )it s time for a different make.

Or a Husky, or an Echo, or...
Harry K
On Sunday, March 31, 2013 9:25:38 AM UTC-6, cj wrote:

For home and occasional use the Poulan will be fine. I have had one for thirty years and it still works fine. It starts and runs fine with fresh fuel each season.
On 3/31/2013 11:25 AM, cj wrote:

Looking through thread I see that all Poulan makes are lower quality saws. I got their Wild Thing a few years ago and oil pump failed after about 5 hours use. Had it repaired under warranty and it still runs but throttle lock will not hold to start and I have to tie it down when starting. Son bought one which also failed and would not start. Don't know what he did with it. I cannot recommend Poulan.