On Dec 22, 12:16 am, email@example.com wrote:
I assume you mean a woodburning stove. Don't do anything until you
check it out with your homeowner's insurance. A lot of companies
won't even allow woodburning stoves. If that's OK, then you must by a
UL listed stove and install it according to their directions. The
trouble is usually the chimney. Assuming you don't have an existing
chimney (in good condition) to use, you will be looking at running a
metalbestos chimney up through your living spaces out the roof. So as
to how hard of an install, it could range from not too bad to a living
On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 22:16:50 -0800 (PST), firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
Call your building department. They may have a handout with all the
rules. When I did this in Md many years ago the PG County BD had a
package that they mailed me. Basically the issues are combustible
walls, floors and ceilings need protection and the flue needs to be of
an approved design and routed the right way. Getting it through the
wall and outside as quickly as possible eases your woes. You will have
to deal with that pipe running up the outside of your house.
Good grief, man. How would we even guess? If you were any more vague, your
post would be just blank.
First things first.
Find out if you need a permit. Nothing like getting red tagged in the
middle of it, or having to rip it out and do it again.
Check with your insurance company. Your rates will probably go up. Mine
almost doubled for homeowner's.
After that, the construction isn't rocket science, but not knowing a thing
about your setup, I can't offer any advice. Components are available from
any fireplace store. Putting them in right and safely is another thing.
Cutting openings, coring concrete, making sure everything's right and safe
is vital. Straight runs of chimney pipe are best, and nineties are bad.
You have to use air to combust wood. What's going to be your air source?
Room air? Outside air through a duct? No sense sending warm room air up
the chimney. You may be better off to just run a 220 and put a heater in
Then there are CO monitors. Get the digital type so you have a displayed
level rather than waiting until it is critical to beep.
You may have to have a hole cut in the wall. You may have to redo framing
and everything up from the stove. You may have to put in fire blocking and
fire resistant materials.
Other than the things mentioned above, it's a snap.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.