Pot Metal Repair

I've been pouring over a number of threads and searches regarding repair of pot metal hardware. I have a Pella window crank handle that has broke. I see the general consensus is that no adhesive will work and some form of low-temp solder is required. But I was thinking of a combo of steel pins/dowels and some strong epoxy. Any further ideas on this?
--
Monroe

Monroe wrote:

of will not go with a brazing or welding without melting the whole thing...

Don't think I've ever seen a pot metal repair that worked. How much is a new handle? Spend a few bucks and save a lot of time for something that will break again. Ed
PC-7 Epoxy would probably work but it won't look great...better to buy a new handle.

Once long ago I repaired a pot metal part on a classic car just as a challenge using my then new Hobart TIG welder. It wasn't easy, took quite a while, and was totally cost ineffective. So the short answer is, get a new part if you can, it's cheaper. The problem with welding pot metal is the sharp melting point of the pure zinc castings and the lack of an oxide coating that will support the molten weld until it cools. At the time I experimented with this technique, only pure zinc welding filler rod was available. Maybe somewhere there is better system now. HTH
Joe
I see the consensus is to not bother with repair and to purchase a new handle ass'y. I was trying to avoid this as the cost "tossed about" by a local supplier is the better part of $200. Seems you can't purchase just a handle, rather, the entire assembly. If repair is that difficult and problematic, might just bite the bullet and subject a new handle to another 20-odd years of use.
Thanks

Monroe

Check around online, and you can probably find a place that will sell you just the handle. It wouldn't hurt to go to Pella's website and ask them directly about where you can get a handle.
BB

Have a look at the "HTS-735-II Fluxless Brazing Rod" http://www.mid-ammarketing.net
I saw a product demo at a trade show in January. It's pretty impressive. It's also pretty expensive :-( but if you're looking at $200 for replacement...

Holy CRAP! I would have thought $10 would be price gouging. Have you looked for some sort of replacement at Home Depot? Or try a good hardware store for a handle that can be made to work with a collar and set screw to hold it in place. Use that on a window not used or seen often. Any of your neighbors a machinist or tinkerer that could make up something?
Or course try calling Pella customer service, To sell only a $200 assembly is outrageous. Ed
You might consider using an exterior sleeve of some type and filling the sleeve with epoxy. This could be made quite strong.

That's a good idea Dan. Use a sleeve together with the pin or post he was talking about and it might work. I'm sure parts are available for a Pella window, but this may be more about experimenting than cost.