Postmortem on recalcitrant toilet

Some weeks ago I posted my plight regarding a toilet that suddenly stopped flushing any type of solids, including small amounts of simple toilet tissue.
I've received many suggestions and ultimately I decided it would be easier to just replace the toilet which is what I did.
The new toilet flushes just fine.
Several people asked me to follow-up with a postmortem of the toilet before I threw it out. I kept the toilet as a planter for a few weeks in the front yard then I tired of it and took a hammer to it today.
Results: Nada. No objects anywhere. Clean as a whistle. Also, I didn't find any objects in the drain.
I guess that I'll never know why a toilet after 10 or so years decided to get up and die. Toilet suicide is so sad.

I think I was the one that asked for the after action report.
I realize this comes a little late for your unit, but I suspect that the calcium build up in the rim was the problem, but an easy way for some one to fix that is to use a plastic trash can and mix muriatic acid with enough water to cover the base of the toilet and let it soak for a few days. That will dissolve any crusties in the porcelain and should do the trick.
It also takes out the hard water and rust stains on some older johns that just won't scrub off.
--
Roger Shoaf

a easier way is pour muriatic acid down the dip tube, wait 15 minutes and flush normally, repeat as needed. then flush 10 or 15 times to dilute any acid remaining in the system. wear safety glasses, use a funel and have the room well ventilated.
its worth a try and can do no harm if your going to replace the toilet anyway
bob haller wrote:

Just curious, I need to do this to a toilet but what is the "dip" tube?
Did a google and came up with a diagram, but no dip tube. Not being a smartass, really want to know how to clean out the toilet once and for all
http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.toiletseatstyle.com/toilet-parts-diagram.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.toiletseatstyle.com/toilet-repair&hA6&wP0&szT&tbnid=IRU4MBHMv9-2NM:&tbnh 8&tbnw0&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtoilet%2Bparts&hl=en&usg=__MAIgGegkdoVF6Uy3xOYHgVT8-Lo=&ei=sgTASovfGISKswOS0I0g&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=7&ct=image
Thanks for the help
--
PV

"Begin each day as if it were on purpose"
Mary Anne Radmacher

its the tube thats inn the tank, open at top and has hose connected or inserted at top, the dip tube water causes the start of the wave that ultimately causes the flush.
the dip tube water comes out the bowl rim holes
bob haller wrote:

Thanks, Will give this a shot tomorrow
--
PV

"Begin each day as if it were on purpose"
Mary Anne Radmacher

I would like to make a couple of points here. First I don't think that there is more than one path for the water to flow there is only one hole in the main body of the toilet that the water goes into. What was referred to as the dip tube I believe is properly referred to as the overflow tube, and the little hose that flows in to the tube is to give a little water after the flush to return the level in the bowl to full. The water is well on its way when the flapper valve opens.
As I see the choice between the two proposed methods, the removal method has the disadvantage of having to remove the toilet and disassemble, but the advantage is that it does a really thorough job as the acidic mix is kept in contact with the calcium deposits until it all fizzes away, and you do not have a bunch of acid fumes stinking up the house. You also get to replace the wax ring and check the condition of the gasket between the tank and the bowl.
If you just pour the acid in most of it just flows right down the drain and does nothing, and you end up on your hands and knees poking a chunk of wire into the rim holes while sniffing acid fumes.
Good luck which ever way you choose.
--
Roger Shoaf

If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, what does this say about the

obviously you never tried the acid method? pour in tube wait 15 minutes and flush, then if your not satisfied just repeat.......
having done this or suggested it to many people including some here who reported back worked great.....
fact is not one reported failure, as long as toilet flushes fine with bucket was criteria for acid treatment.
biggest problem is peoples fear of acid.
why not try my method, if it fails wait a week so all acid traces are gone, and then pull toilet?
a week is overkill, but geez most toilets like this go bad over time, so waiting doesnt matter

Works great.. A little more detail here:
"Muriatic Acid Method"
http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Slow-Toilet