Posting Top

Page 3 of 5
If you don;t know why I posted this entry, please go back and read the prvious post I replied to by G Henslee. He makes good sense. As long as you agree with him.
I actually use a new reader program..........You can get one too. Free Agent is a shareware program. It will keep all the stuff from the last post, and you can follow it by just reading the next post replying to or related to it. It works similarly to a conversation. When a friend of mine and I talk in person, we don't quote everything the conversation started with when we reply. Why should we do any different on newsgroups. People just throw in their two cents worth. It happens in every group I read. If you reply to the proper posting (sub thread or original ) the info should already have been read by the time you read the next entry. Unless you are purging your computer of information all the time and throwing out the baby with the bathwater, this should be simple enough for almost anyone.
I will continue to use my newsreader the way I use it because it works very well, wastes less time, than having to try and read the entire post prior to the one I wish to read when I open a thread(or entry). I generally cut through all the quoted text to eliminate people being put off by having to sift through something they have already read once............ Thinking in conversation mode, not 1989 newsgroup ettiquette, which is how more users actually use the newsgroups anyway.
I learned how to operate my newsreader a little bit at a time. So I have to admit, I didn,t know how manners played into how you entered the post early on. Hell, I didn't know it for two or three years because no one complained about how I communicated, other than how every word I typed used to start with an upper case letter. ( I nevr took typing classes in school and had no guidance in making that selection back then)
There is some good information from you on how it "should be" or used to be. But it is incumbent on the reader of my ppost to understand it. or discard it. I make intelligent remarks, or funny ones, or informative entries. All of which I think are acceptable forms of communication. All of which can be misconstrued or understood, according to the level of intelligence, or lack of, of the individual reading them. As it stands, it is more efficient and uses less "bandwidth" to say what you mean, and not use an extra billionth of bandwidth each time you post, by quoting the same text the reader has already read. This is how it is for me. Hopefully all of us can make decisions based on our own needs, and consider how others will see it, and perform the tasks the way one can or will. I have no disrespect for Mr Henslee's desire to read things his way. However I decline to bend to that desire, as it is mine to decide how it fits my needs also. If my posts annoy anyone, I am sure they can sleep at night without correcting me on how they were entered. If they don' want to read my posts. Delete or kilfile them. Easy enough.
Now, If One decides to killfile my entries, they won' be losing any info of the poster I replied to. Once again,..........makes good sense to me.
Nuff said. ( on this subject anyway....................)
Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB
If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?
The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.
USENET and the severs that carry it are not perfect. Threads have missing postings. Theyshould be snipped, but a line or two youd be there for clarification. . In a perfect world, yes, in newsgroups, it does not always happen
Just because others are ignorant and have no ettiquette, you want to be a social boor too? If the guy next to you farts at the dinner table does that mean it is OK for you to fart too?
If the entire world had manners, we would be in a much better state. Self discipline is a good thing, really.
So manners, ettiquette, and socal graces have no part in your life? Everone just does as they please no matter how it affects others?
Snipping eliminates the waste.
To hell with others as long as you are happy. Got it.
To you, perhaps, not the rest of the world.
One more thing. I'm going to post this, b ut leave out all the content you put in and just post my reply. Let me know how much sense it makes to you.
If you are truly concerened about wasting a tiny bit of bandwidth, eliminate everything below.

.

Just because others are ignorant and have no ettiquette, you want to be a social boor too? If the guy next to you farts at the dinner table does that mean it is OK for you to fart too?

If the entire world had manners, we would be in a much better state. Self discipline is a good thing, really.

So manners, ettiquette, and socal graces have no part in your life? Everone just does as they please no matter how it affects others?

Snipping eliminates the waste.

To hell with others as long as you are happy. Got it.
If my posts annoy anyone, I am sure they can sleep at night

To you, perhasp =not the rest of hte world.

One more thing. I'm going to post this, b ut leave out all the content you put in and just post my reply. Let me know how much sense it makes to you.
If you are truyly concerened about wasting a tiny bit of bandwidth, eliminate everything below.

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 19:25:54 GMT, MUADIB
[snip]

[massive snippage]
New to you, maybe, but Free Agent's been around years. I don't recall when Free Agent was introduced, but Agent was introduced in 1994. I believe I bought Agent that year, and that Free Agent was also available at that time. Free Agent is not shareware, it's freeware. Agent is "trialware", free for 30 days, then either pay or it reverts to Free Agent. And, actually, if you don't know, you're using Agent 2.0/32.652, the latest build of Agent 2.0, released February, 2004.
Cheers!
--
Luke
Free Agent, and Agent, the paid version, are excellent programs, but I think you are mistaken in believing they retain the body of the prior postings.
MUADIB wrote:

[snip bottom quote]
Agent (and I believe Free Agent, but it's been years since I've used it) retains retrieved message bodies. Message bodies can be retrieved en masse for a group or individually per message header. And message bodies can be deleted, en masse or individually. Message bodies take up no memory, only HD space, but Agent's data files can be compacted so HD space use is minimal.
--
Luke
Only 90%? I prefer people that top post. It does make it easier to continue to follow a thread...

HeatMan wrote:
<top posting corrected>
> Only 90%? I prefer people that top post. It does make it easier to > continue to follow a thread... >
And follow you will, regardless...
wrote: =======================================>For the 90% of the users who are actually following a thread, top

=================================== Even as I bottom post THIS response I have to agree with you at least as far as I personally am concerned... For Me ..... it is easier to top post For Me .......it is a heck of a lot faster to read the "new" reply For Me....... it is a hell of a lot faster
Bob Griffiths
When the net-Nazi's come out demanding everyone bottom post I sometimes throw my 0.02 in to support top posting. But the real truth of the matter is that sometimes top posting is fine and other times the reply is complicated to the point where you have to intersperse your new material with the old material, and for some short messages it's just as easy to bottom post. There really isn't any one single way that works best BUT in the absence of the trimming that was SUPPOSED to accompany bottom posting, most messages are better replied to with top posting if for no other reason then to minimize the page down, page down, page down that long bottom posted threads result in .
On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 09:52:38 -0400, Bob G.

Ashton Crusher wrote:

> When the net-Nazi's come out demanding everyone bottom post I > sometimes throw my 0.02 in to support top posting. But the real truth > of the matter is that sometimes top posting is fine and other times > the reply is complicated to the point where you have to intersperse > your new material with the old material, and for some short messages > it's just as easy to bottom post. There really isn't any one single > way that works best BUT in the absence of the trimming that was > SUPPOSED to accompany bottom posting, most messages are better replied > to with top posting if for no other reason then to minimize the page > down, page down, page down that long bottom posted threads result in . >
I prefer top posting and I will continue to top post, ignore the self appointed Net Cop.
Cheers and have a nice Independent Day.

<shit snip off>
I, also, prefer top posting and think bottom posters are LOOSERS! Well, not actually, but calling top or bottom or in between posters loosers is just plain stupid. I actually will top or bottom post where the content makes sense.
George W wrote:

Make it 91% I just love top posting and will continue to top post.

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 20:26:18 -0500, Jim B wrote:

Born stupid, and getting dumber every minute. A classic moron.
Linux Registered User #327951
How do you know? Your mother must be a pig.

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:24:05 -0500, Jim B wrote:
<stupid top-posting corrected>

How do I know what? That you are stupid? I know that because you (continue) to top-post. Tell your mom I said hi, and that I want her armpits shaved before I come over there again.
Linux Registered User #327951
Myself as well.

I too will not stop top posting. It's a waste of time always scrolling down to see the replies. If one always wants to read the question that was posted let them scroll down. The subject title ought to be enough to tell one what the question was that was posted.

Dave wrote:

Right.