Posting

Why don't you allow posting directly on alt.home.repair ?

____________________________________ Posted via Homerepairlive.com

Ichabod

Who is "you"?

Methinks the OP needs a better understanding of Usenet.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Chances are, your ISP allows access to Usenet, check that out first.

Then there are a number of free Usenet servers. Use Google to find one of them.

Then there are a number of 'for pay' Usenet providers, like Giganews.

Last resort, Google Groups.

Oh, and then after Google Groups, one of the SPAM advertised VBULLETIN driven forum sites that want to fill your eyeballs with advertising and get your email address for even more SPAM. Never, ever use one of those.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Why don't you talk to your ISP?

Oren

The comment was directed to the operator of the Bulletin Board I posted on. Apparently it's connected with FidoNet or some offshoot.

____________________________________ Posted via Homerepairlive.com

Ichabod

FidoNet is arcane in today's world but I guess people still use it. For what reason is beyond me.

Oren

Because they wouldn't earn money off of your post.

RicodJour

Google Groups seems to earn millions of money off people's posts, but nobody seems to care about that. Is there a difference here?

Jeb

Reply to
jebber007

I think there is in that folks using Google Groups at least know they're posting to Usenet.

These other websites don't make it clear, and folks don't know what they're getting into. Quoting is inconsistent, and folks using these interfaces tend to assume everyone else is using whatever website interface they're using.

We've seen that on other newsgroups. In one I frequent, a regular poster puts up a canned explanation of Usenet, netiquette, etc., when she sees posts coming from these websites.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

The administration of Google-Groups isn't currently spamming the newsgroup trying to drum up content, while masquerading as real people. At least if they are, they're doing a better masquerade.

Reply to
Goedjn

Generally everyone I know who's been involved in FidoNet and Newsgroups agrees that the old FN was a much friendlier place. Especially the local echoes. You could walk into a handy bar and have a beer with the guy you've been calling an asshole in a public echo. :-)

Reply to
Steve Thrasher

I did some research on all the homerepairlive posts and they all come from different ip ranges. I'm talking different Class A's,B's,C's and D's There is no way that they are trolling the newsgroup with the amount of different ips I have seen the posts come in as. In addition whois searches on those ips show a variety of hosts from aol to adelphia to cox etc. I don't think they are masquerading as anyone, I think they are just newbies who don't understand where their posts were actually going.

Reply to
mikeytag