Postable Digital TV's?

The "free" converter I have runs on about 8 watts and that is not much load on an inverter. If you could get one with a DC wall wart it would run fine on a battery.

"free" I didn't know about that. Where did you get it? (looking it up on google right now....")

found a govt. site for $40 coupons and ordered two. We'll see.

My in-law got their coupons from the same site. Their convertors were $9.95 each two weeks ago. FWIW

do you mean [FORTY-nine] 49.95? That's what Wal-Mart is selling Magnavox converters for,and with sales tax,it adds up to $13.
If a DTV converter sold for $10,I wouldn't bother with coupons.
the Echostar converter was -supposed- to sell for only $40(essentially free),but hadn't been available when I got my coupons and not for the next 90 days of validity.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I assumed kurt was talking about the price with the coupon applied.

The coupons were for $40 and the amount they actually paid was $9.95. Sorta works out to $49.95 total , but still o$9.95 out of pocket. I guess I coulda made that a little more explicit (g).

Kurt Ullman wrote:

The $40 is out of pocket too, just a bit more indirectly.

Circuit City is selling them for $60, so after the rebate they are $20.
On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 05:00:14 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net sayd the following:

So if you bought one for $60 and sold it for $40 you'd make a $20 profit.
NICE!

Maybe they can distribute coupons for remedial math.

government giving away a trillion dollars before its all over. so 40 bucks is nothing $ wise

Haier Hlt71 7" Portable Lcd Tv - HLT71 http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku 8673168
Andy wrote:

I'm curious about something. On three different TVs with digital tuners, a 2002 model with a set top box, a 2008 model with built in OTA digital tuner, and my mother's portable with a digital converter, it seems like the digital signal does a VERY poor job of penetrating walls. The only thing that I've tried so far that worked worth a crap is an outdoor rooftop antennae and even that was affected if the wind blew the leaves on the tall trees between the antennae and the transmitter towers downtown. Are others having similar experiences?
"T. McQuinn" wrote:

Wait until Feb '09 or so when the stations are transmitting at full power.
Pete C. wrote:

Are you saying that even though many of the sub channels (12-1, 12-2, 12-3) are only available via over the air that they aren't using full power?
[snip]

I think that's true with the ABC station here. Also, they seem to be planning to go back to the original channel (analog on 7, digital on 10) later. Maybe they're now using a low power transmitter for digital and will switch to the full power one (currently being used for analog) then.
Why would sub channel availability have anything to do with transmitter power?

Mark Lloyd
"T. McQuinn" wrote:

Many if not most of the current ATSC transmissions are at considerably lower power than the stations main NTSC transmission and will switch to full power when the NTSC transmitter is shutdown. Some of these ATSC transmissions are operating at a few kW now and will be in the MW range after the cutover. Somewhere on the FCC site there is a database listing the pre and post cutover power levels. Sub channels have nothing to do with it.
Pete C. wrote:

That could be very good news! I'll have to look for that FCC data.
Pete C. wrote:

Hmmmm, 1MW = 1000,000W = 1Kw. So you're saying they are going to decrease power?