Post Pulling away from Deck. Pics.

Page 1 of 2

Hi,
I attached some photos. Looking for some advice on how to deal with this. I'm thinking of nailing in an L bracket or two into the right angle of the post and the diagonal 2 x 4 you can see in the pics. Also maybe nail a straight metal strap horizontally across the post, the 2 boards, and the rafter.
One of the supporting posts is leaning away from the deck, and a gap is opening up. I already have nailed in the sheet metal connectors underneath, can't think of their correct name, to hold the outer end of the deck to the rafters, so it will not ( I hope) lean out any more.
The post seems to be warped somewhat, since by using a level I found that it is leaning away from the house near the ground, but up on top, it is actually leaning towards the house just a bit.
The deck is 23 years old. Don't want to pay for a brand new deck yet.
Could it be that the rafter is warping or shrinking also, and pulling back from the post ?
By the way, there is no railing on the side of the deck because there was a privacy fence there, which recently blew off completely.
Any input appreciated. Thanks.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45722991@N05/4663941858 /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45722991@N05/4663941854 /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45722991@N05/4663941850 /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45722991@N05/4663941848 /

Steel plate
Jimmie

It's hard to tell from the photos exactly what is warped/twisted.
2 of the photos seem to show that the interior rim joist is twisted, but it may just be because the post is pulling it out.
You might try adding a temporary post under that corner to take some weight of the post and then use a come-along to try and wrench the post and rim joist back into place.
http://www.perfectaline.com/jet%20come-along.jpg
As I said, it's hard to tell exactly what's twisted, and forcing the rim joist back into place may simply transfer the stresses to some other location along the structure.
I certainly don't think you need a new deck, but it make make sense to replace the rim joists and posts if they are twisted so far out of shape that you can't get them back to where they belong without causing other problems.
UGH! Whoever built that, has absolutely no support/beams or otherwise, holding up the deck. The only thing holding the deck up, is the nails/screws from the outside rim board into the joist band. What a horrible design, I'm surprised it passed inspection, if there were one.
Just off hand, b/4 working under that one, I would want additional temporary support. Reason being, is to keep from getting killed.
I would imagine you could carriage bolt a double beam affixed to the posts (I could go into detail, how to make this a simpler solution than what it may sound). You would have to modify your diagonal bracing to accept the double 2x8 beam.
Since the front rim board is this poorly attached, I would also be concerned about the rim board affixed to the structure. Also a concern would be if the structure rim is properly flashed/sealed.
Good luck.

Joist hangers (nowadays required by building codes) will not correct the warping but will help stabilize what is there now.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Joist hangers won't do a bit of good with what the OP has going on. The outside joist rim board, is "nailed/screwed" to a ledger, which the posts are notched to accept. The only thing holding that deck up, is the "nails/screws" fastened through the "post ledger" to the outside joist/rim board. The proof is, the deck _ALREADY_ has joist hangers, front & rear. Look for yourself.
The deck is a disaster, waiting to happen.

Several very large L-shaped brackets strategically plced ought to hold it up for a few more years. The biggest problem is no solid connection between the post and the side beam, those nails don't look half big enough in diameter or length.

I'm not fond of that engineering either. You need to push that post back towards the house. Then I'd put a carrage bolt through the center and both those 2x10's or whatever they are. As well as a steel plate across the side with lag bolts into the post and carrage bolts into that outside 2x10..
Not sure how to move the post though. A comealong if you can find something to attach the other end to. Or maybe a truck bumper :-)

Larger nails wouldn't have helped. Nails into end grain won't resist the forces pulling this thing apart.
On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 12:10:44 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

Should those nails into the end of the side beam have been put in at opposing angles, so it would have been much harder for them to come out????
Someone showed me to do that once, and I often do, and it works well, but I don't know all the places it's a good idea.
Another more of a guess: Should the inside joist rim board have been nailed on first? and then the second one, the outside joist rim board, nailed to it in more places than just the side beam?

No, that won't help (enough). Any fasteners into end grain will pull out easily.

That helps, but steel hangars should have been used also. This is a accident waiting to happen. Since you know it, it's a certain liability. Replace it.
Also needs a couple posts along the wall of the house. Not much holding the deck, at the house side.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Since none of us know what structure is hidden inside the exterior wall of the house, nor how the ledger board holding that end of the deck is attached to the wall, saying it needs posts under it is pointless...
Odds are it is not adequately supported given the general appearance and condition of the rest of the deck... But to say that without actually having proper pictures or looking at it to see the conditions is bogus...
That deck is unsafe as built and either needs extensive repairs or a complete tear down and redo to make it safe...
~~ Evan
On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 10:42:25 -0700 (PDT), Evan

I agree. I would even board up the exit door unto the deck to keep people off of it for now.
Fix it now or fix it when the house is sold.
utilitarian wrote: ...

You need a whole lot more beef than that...
As a couple of others already said you need some serious support _after_ you get the thing moved back into place.
Also, you need to
a) not let anybody or anything on it until it is repaired, and b) get some solid bracing underneath to ensure it doesn't come down while you're trying to work on it.
That side joist needs to have the nails cut off so it can be moved back into alignment vertically. Then, the outer rim needs brought back in to where it was. At that point, a plate as somebody else suggested or an outer joist can be added and fastened thru the post or lagged w/ minimum 3/8" fasteners.
For aesthetics, rather than running another joist underneath as somebody said for the support I'd probably get another 6x and make a ledger of it endways about 18" long or so bolted thru the post to let the deck set on. That should then be securely tied to the rim and thru-bolted w/ steel plate.
Agree w/ the assessment of the likely weakness of construction at the house end as well. I'd surely assess that.
If you're not confident you can tell what's adequate and what's not, I'd suggest getting a structural opinion.
As is, this is a serious accident about to happen...
dpb wrote: ...

Thinking some more, I think I'd stick w/ the idea but notch it to fit the existing joists and extend below a ways. Can cut the bottom at 45-degree angle for the aesthetics was talking about.
That done, you've got it to bolt thru from both directions to tie corners together as well as the solid rest for the outer joist to be supported on.
Same thing could be done structurally w/ a 4" or greater angle vertically on the inner corner; just easier working w/ the wood for average homeowner-type.
Again, one would guess that there's nothing holding the inner corners together, either other than either toenailed or facenailed as that end shows it is so need similar fixup there as well...
Also, can't re-emphasize to much the need for shoring this puppy up in a hurry and securely before even thinking about working under it. There have been accidents around here as well from such death traps so it ain't no joke...
If you can't get to that immediately, at least rope it off so nobody can wander around under it, especially any of your or the neighbors' kids.
utilitarian wrote:

How in world it passed the code when built. Foundation of posts are in question. As far as I am concerned, this is a safety issue. I would not step onto that deck.

I hate to repeat gloom and doom but stay off of it. A deck came off of a house a few miles from here about two years ago. It killed a couple of folks and injured others. In addition to the post, it looks like one corner might be pulling from the house.
That said, I suspect you might want to think about taking it down. If not, brace it up and start planning to put a properly designed beam UNDER the joists not attached to the end of the deck. Don't screw around with this this. The people who were killed in the local accident were under the deck.
RonB
RonB wrote:

If they were building a deck like that w/o beam which is supported by properly footed post down to frost line with concrete, I'd put a stop to it. I just don't understand how could they get away with it? Do they build like that down South across border? I hope not.

That leaves you with just one option: tear it down ASAP. Your photos show an appallingly jerry-built structure, one that will expose you to serious legal problems should the inevitable accident occur. This needed to be done years ago and common sense says, do it now!
Joe