post-painting tobacco smoke abatement

Page 2 of 2

Normal cleaning of electrostatic air cleaners is done by running the filters through the dishwasher. This should get the crud out of it. Does the filter work properly? It should have a test button which causes a spark zap if the electronics are good.
Bob
Bob wrote:

Ah, but Bob, you're assuming this is a NORMAL electrostatic cleaner. This cleaner was made by GE, who says they haven't made something like this in a couple decades. My guess is it's been non-functional for at least 5-10 years. GE provides absolutely ZERO, zilch, nada support for this unit because they don't make household HVAC cleaners. It took 'em six hours longer than forever to figure out they even made this unit at one time. Geniuses, the bunch of 'em, God bless 'em all.
The unit is much larger than a standard air filter assembly, and there is a metal triple-layer frame. The outer layer on each side hinges open to accept a layer of some sort of special filter material in addition to there apparently being a small static charge run through the middle layer. The previous owner just had what looked like fine fiberglass mats sandwiched in between the metal layers.
My wife has scrubbed the metal assembly first with Dirtex (which did a fabulous job getting the tobacco crud off the metal window frames in the house) and then with hot water and bleach. Then I've cut a larger piece of HEPA filter material down to sandwich in the assembly.
Next step: an HVAC company we've used in the past and trusted is coming in to clean the AC coil - they're betting there's a nasty build-up there, too.
God, this is costing waaay too much. And smokers like drawing this nasty crud into their lungs because...?

I have an old GE "electronic air cleaner" that functions like, and looks similar to the commonly seen honeywell units. I assumed that was what you had. If I were you, I'd get a honeywell or similar unit installed, and keep your tenants.
Is it possible to get furnace and ducts treated with ozone? It would seem like this would be a good option in your case.
Bob